Oak Island, A PBX Visit.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Oak Island is owned by the federal government and is part of the Forsythe National Reserve. In order to access the island one must have a permit or risk going to federal prison for trespassing. Our first goal obviously was to acquire a permit and thanks to bobpbx it was submitted and eventually approved. Do not try to go there without a permit!

From this site on this trip was ecampbell, bobpbx, pinelandpaddler, hewey, turtle, lost town hunter, Jessica, and myself (teegate). There were many others who also attended.

Steps for an old tree stand. You don't see this much.

IMG_4663.JPG

The ruins of the newer home most likely in the early part of the last century.

IMG_4664.JPG

ecampbell checking out a boat which most likely was inside a shed or garage that fell down and disintegrated around it. The evidence was there I believe to support that.

IMG_4668.JPG

It can still be towed :)

IMG_4669.JPG

IMG_4670.JPG

IMG_4674.JPG

Then to the old home there. This most likely was the home of The Great John Mathis.

IMG_4678.JPG

Portions hidden in vegetation.

IMG_4679.JPG

And ecampbell using the 1930 aerials believes this was the farm area where they grew their food. I tend to agree with him.

IMG_4680.JPG

Various items found.

IMG_4685.JPG

IMG_4686.JPG

Turtle explained to me this is a Hickory tree.

IMG_4688.JPG

Jessica, bobpbx, and turtle just a few minutes before Jessica went in up to her waist. Nothing unusual for her :)

IMG_4690.JPG

A Persimmon tree. You can tell by the fact it looks like an alligator skin.

IMG_4692.JPG

I am sure others will add to this report.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It was a really lovely day on that idyllic island. Very peaceful. I want to thank Ted Gordon for his excellent expertise in helping us identify as many plants as possible. Ted is an excellent botanist and a great guy to explore with.

Guy (Small).PNG
Idyllic (Small).PNG
Idyllic2 (Small).PNG
Idyllic3 (Small).PNG

Reactions: John and Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes there were ticks. I picked off three and others pulled some off of me. Jessica had about 10 and kept running out of the house after we got home to pull them off outside.

No deer but plenty of stands ( lottery permit only). And Mike (Rednek's son) pointed out where a deer had slept in the grass so they are there.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Thank you Bob for taking the time and the effort obtaining the permit for all of us. It was great getting a chance to finally explore Oak Island.

A few of my pictures from the island.

Wisteria vine and a Persimmon.

Patch of Prickly Pear.

Looking towards AC off the island.

Meadow.

Mike explaining to us how the old duck blind was most likely set up and used.

Chris

Reactions: John and Teegate