Stink Bugs

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Up until a few years ago I had never heard of, nor seen, a stink bug.

They hitched a ride into Allentown PA in 1988 from guess where.

From Wikipedia;
"The brown marmorated stink bug was accidentally introduced into the United States from China or Japan. It is believed to have hitched a ride as a stowaway in packing crates. The first documented specimen was collected in Allentown, Pennsylvania, in September 1998.[4][12] Several Muhlenberg College students were reported to have seen these bugs as early as August of that same year.[7][13]
Other reports have the brown marmorated stink bug recovered as early as 2000 in New Jersey from a black light trap run by the Rutgers Cooperative Extension (RCE) Vegetable Integrated Pest Management program in Milford, New Jersey. [14] In 2002, it was again collected in New Jersey from black light traps located in Phillipsburg and Little York and was found on plant material in Stewartsville. It was quickly documented and established in many counties in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Connecticut and New York on the eastern coast of the United States. By 2009, this agricultural pest had reached Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, Ohio, Illinois, and Oregon.[15] In 2010 this pest was found in additional states including Indiana,[16] Michigan,[17] Minnesota,[18] and other states.[19] As of November 2011 it has spread to 34 U.S. states[5] and by 2012 to 40 and showed an increase of 60% in total numbers over 2011."

Wikipedias terms of use.
You are free to:
  • Read and Print our articles and other media free of charge.
  • Share and Reuse our articles and other media under free and open licenses.
  • Contribute To and Edit our various sites or Projects.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I haven't seen one for about a year.

While noticibly not like last two years, they have remained plentiful in Waterford / Pestletown and they still turn up in places you just can't figure out.

Sucks when it's the trail mix or expecially the Honey Nut Cheerios.

g

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Wow, really? Are they getting into sealed packages of food? I have never seen anything like that. There never have been very many down here, just the odd one or two around the house.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Wow, really? Are they getting into sealed packages of food? I have never seen anything like that. There never have been very many down here, just the odd one or two around the house.

Nahhh Boyd, just ol' Largo bustin about the Cheerios but other containers like what might have dry goods in them yes, so I did discover some in food areas. Blechhh!

They can get mobile in a pinch and wind up on table or a plate. Guy I work with here had one land in his morning Oatmeal here.
He did not see, and when it crunched he tasted it and the spew of Blue language was on.

Have to say, between biting a stinkbug and being zinged by a Chigg... give me some tabasco and I'll take the stinkbug anyday.
Chiggs is the gift that keeps on giving.

g

Reactions: Boyd