New Pine Barrens history website

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
http://www.njphs.org

We are the New Jersey Pinelands Historical Society, an organization that exclusively seeks to study and preserve the history and culture of the greater New Jersey Pinelands region. Our approach to achieveing this end is three pronged: We encourage and foster research in and about the area, Act as a safeguard against greater development that would result in the further degredation of artifacts, historical sites, and area folkways, And use our collective resources to achieve greater Pinelands history awareness.

Their Facebook page has posts that go back to 2012 so they're not new - I hadn't heard of them until the PPA linked to them from their Facebook page.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yet another non-profit in the making :rolleyes:

"At the earliest possible time, as deemed by the assembled officers of the organization, the New Jersey Pinelands Historical Society will seek to garner a Non-Profit status from both the state and federal government. Until all conditions are met to qualify as a Non-Profit organization, the society will function as a de-facto not for profit group. Non tax deductible monetary donations, item gifts, and sales generated from the New Jersey Pinelands Historical Society store, during this pre-non-profit period, will first, have taxes deducted from them, and second, go into an account whose funds can only be used to support the functions of the organization. IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL DONORS - All donations given to the society during this period are not tax deductible on income taxes. We will keep you updated as to our tax status in the comming months. Please Check Back Soon."

I wonder if the taxes that are deducted will get to the state. :eek:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I wish them well, but at this point there's not much to see on their site, no posts in their public forum. A "de-facto not for profit group"? Never saw one of those before. ;)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The more people working to keep history alive, the better.

Perhaps, but how many does one need to keep the same history alive. If someone has interest, most, it not all, the documents they reference can be found on existing web sites or in the public library system. Not arguing, just sayin'...

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
We need less groups and more research. Most everything written today is just a repeat of someone else's work. If there was a mistake in the original it is just repeated right down the line. Having said this, I do keep joining all the groups in hopes of finding new information.
I know, I should stop joining groups and do research myself. I wish I could. I also think Ben was right when he said: "The more people working to keep history alive, the better".
Don

We need less groups and more research. Most everything written today is just a repeat of someone else's work. If there was a mistake in the original it is just repeated right down the line. Having said this, I do keep joining all the groups in hopes of finding new information.
I know, I should stop joining groups and do research myself. I wish I could. I also think Ben was right when he said: "The more people working to keep history alive, the better".
Don

Don:

I completely concur with your assessment concerning the plethora of modern books on the Pines. All are virtual rewrites of previously published books without benefiting from much or any new research, which suggests a certain level of intellectual laziness. Some authors engage in downright plagiarism, which has included my own work. Imagine attending a lecture and finding the presenter projecting a slide of something that you found in conducting original research and posted here on these forums. The presenter failed to mention where they obtained the information or who originally provided it. Well, it happened to me about seven years ago. I absolutely KNOW that a goodly amount of my research and writing I have posted in these forums or on the front page is ending up as other people’s “work.” I enjoy providing an education for other people too much to preclude me from posting here, but would-be authors (and past authors) should know that I am watching closely and will call you out in the future if you fail to give me proper attribution.

Jerseyman

Last edited:

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Jerseyman,
You stated my point perfectly. Some of the newer writing is word for word from the original author. More often than not I can name the book it came from. What I like to see in a new book (dealing with history) is an author that has read the original work, verified the accuracy, then has dug deeper into the original records to extend and maybe add information that may not have been available to the original author.

Ben & Guy,
This forum is one of the best things that has happened to the Pine Barrens and its history, if not the best. If the posts on this forum could be condensed into a single book you would have one hell of a book on the Pine Barrens and its History.
Don

Reactions: glowordz

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I think that one of the problems might be that it's pretty hard to properly do original research without having some sort of training/background as a historian. I mean, sure, anybody can load up a microfilm and go through old newspapers but it takes a lot of knowledge that isn't well known to go find probate records, or follow old deeds, etc.

The Pines are lucky to have a small handful of professional historians associated with it, but most of us are pretty much clueless. I mean, every article that I have penned for the front page of this site is pretty much regurgitated from readily available primary and secondary sources.

All of that said, there's no excuse for plagiarism.

Reactions: glowordz

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I think that one of the problems might be that it's pretty hard to properly do original research without having some sort of training/background as a historian. I mean, sure, anybody can load up a microfilm and go through old newspapers but it takes a lot of knowledge that isn't well known to go find probate records, or follow old deeds, etc.

The Pines are lucky to have a small handful of professional historians associated with it, but most of us are pretty much clueless. I mean, every article that I have penned for the front page of this site is pretty much regurgitated from readily available primary and secondary sources.

All of that said, there's no excuse for plagiarism.

Ben,
That's my whole point. Please remember I am referring to books only and not newspaper articles or articles on a forum. I know from reading and enjoying your front page articles that not only have you put a lot of time and work into them, but you have them proofread by a professional, who you always give credit.

Speaking of front page articles, is there any in the works, Don

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Ben & Guy,
This forum is one of the best things that has happened to the Pine Barrens and its history, if not the best. If the posts on this forum could be condensed into a single book you would have one hell of a book on the Pine Barrens and its History.
Don

I've said many times that I wish that I could stick a flash drive in the ear of Al, Gibby, Teegate or Jerseyman and download their brains.