Post Apocalypse: Miller's Bog

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Miller's Bog, Pestletown, NJ at 20:30 hours on Tuesday night.
The sky was absolutely on fire. The conditions imparted an eery feeling of uncertainty in both my wife and I as we stood there on the dam getting ready to gather water.
I have at least a hundred photos from this vantage point taken over the thirty years I have lived here but this one moves me in a different way.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
I believe he said he used it in his toilet. He has well water aparently.
Interesting. I'm on a well too and thought about using my washing machine water to flush and irrigate but it's still just a thought. Was his power out or is that the usual routine?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Maybe you haven't lived with well water for very long? For those of us who have, flushing toilets with buckets of water during an outage is standard procedure. Sometimes when a big storm is coming, I will fill up a bucket or two in advance, just in case. I have a generator, but it's a pain to drag that out unless the outage lasts a long time.

Scott's power was out, as discussed in this thread: https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/front-coming-thru-today.10610/#post-127188

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
I've lived with well water for quite a while and have lived with no plumbing, carrying buckets of water from a spring for drinking, collecting rain water for other uses. I asked if his power was out.
I fill my bathtub when I think I may lose power.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Kind of curious, what were you going to do with the water you collected?

As Boyd said, my power was out.

Sometimes if we have believable advance notice of a big storm, snow or other type, we will fill several buckets with water and store them for use in filling the toilet tanks. In most cases, we will ride out a one day outage with 4 or 5 buckets and some bottled water. Rolling out the generator, heavy duty power cords and jumping the well switch with a Howard, Fine and Howard extension cord is a pain.

On Tuesday night, my advance notice was my sister-in-law yelling to me as I was cultivating the garden that a tornado was rapidly approaching. I reluctantly went inside and within 3 minutes I was watching huge oak trees do the wave.

On Wednesday morning I was thinking maybe a two day outage so I hooked up the generator. By Wedneday afternoon I realized this wasn't just media hype and jumped the well.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All of the pines are being flooded right now. It looks like wet feet for the next month.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Dr. Howard! Dr. Fine! Dr. Howard! :D

I have a transfer panel to switch the well, refrigerator and other outlets over to the generator. But I still have to get it from the shed, remove mouse nests from its innards, hook it up and hope it will start. But I'm glad to have it here.

Lots of rain down here tonight also.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am afraid that Cedar Creek and the Forked River downstream is going to cause a great amount of flooding in Forked River. It has been raining hard and steady here for 2 hours. I'm betting at least 7 inches. Edit (well, maybe 3 or 4).

9:22 PM. Bamber in the red. It's training on us.

bamrain.PNG

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thunderstorm here now. Still raining hard but the radar shows it may be slowing down soon.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
Wind and rain here too, but the power's on and my Rolling Rock was so cold I may just have another. Hope all is well with everyone.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Awesome pics Scott. My father took me fishing there all the time back in the 70's and 80's. I used to spend slot of time in that area between there and my family's orchards along Chew

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
It was pouring last night in Jenkins. Started about 430. At about 8 my phone told me a flash flood warning. Ninemiles we think alike mine was a Miller though.