Another Tick Question

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hi Folks,

I came across this article today: http://www.nj.com/healthfit/index.s...rdon_wo.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

In it, it describes the disease Borrelia miyamotoi, which I believe we discussed on here at least a year ago. It also makes a reference to being transmitted by larval stage ticks. I can't recall my source, but I thought that it was commonly accepted that newly born (larval) ticks cannot transmit these diseases, as they are not born with them. Is this disease an exception? I wanted to ask those of you in the know.

Thanks for any insight that you can share,

Chilehead

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I am currently putting information together on this very topic for a journal club at work. The confusion, as I understand it, stems from the non-specific tests done on ticks. There are borrelia species that ARE transmitted transovarially in the ticks, meaning the larvae are hatched already infected. Lyme disease, B. burgdorferi, is not, but the tests developed earlier on were not specific enough to differentiate between species. B. miyamotoi, has been detected in larval ticks collected as eggs. Meaning yes, they are capable of transmitting the organism as larvae.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Another thing-is anyone finding that permethrin doesn't seem to be working as well this year? Last year after the initial application of permethrin, and through at least 5 subsequent washings, I did not get a single tick on me. This year I have them crawling up my leg after one washing and not falling off. I've pulled 4 embedded ticks out of my arm and hand so far this week alone, and have found them quite alive and well in my permethrin-treated socks. Is there a new recipe for the stuff that isn't working out?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Another thing-is anyone finding that permethrin doesn't seem to be working as well this year? Last year after the initial application of permethrin, and through at least 5 subsequent washings, I did not get a single tick on me. This year I have them crawling up my leg after one washing and not falling off. I've pulled 4 embedded ticks out of my arm and hand so far this week alone, and have found them quite alive and well in my permethrin-treated socks. Is there a new recipe for the stuff that isn't working out?

Are you using old stuff? It has a shelf life of 4 years if stored properly. I have seen no loss of effectiveness from a bottle of Sawyers purchased this year.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/Documents/213_msds.pdf

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I don't see any difference this year. But I sure don't go through 5 washings! This time of year I wash and re-treat every 3 to 4 weeks.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Thanks for the info 46er and Boyd. 46er, this was a new batch, purchased this year. Maybe the dog ticks are really that bad this year.