Mid Summer Explore

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

With the last day of vacation being quite depressing I spent all morning and early afternoon exploring the pines alone. The family was busy so I headed out very early to beat most of the heat. On the way down Friendship Speedwell Road at sunrise I saw this.

IMG_1048a.jpg

IMG_1043a.jpg

Unbelievably, just minutes later I ran into someone I know and had a 5 second conversation before heading on. I did not want to interrupt what they were doing. Arriving along the red road at my first location I parked and traveled a mile deep into the woods. Turning off onto a very dim road I eventually came to this. They really are deep with this one, and I traveled there because I could actually see the shooting area in the second photo on aerials.

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

Creature comforts.

IMG_1076.JPG

My main goal for the day was to revisit the area that I call the "Asphodel Bog" to see how many grew this year. It is a strange place with one half being mostly Golden-Crest and the other half Asphodel. This is the Golden-Crest portion.

IMG_1079.JPG

Sugar coated

IMG_1086a.jpg

A few other flowers sprinkled in.

IMG_1107a.jpg

I believe this is from a spit bug.

IMG_1138a.jpg

The yellow tint is all Asphodel. There are thousands and thousands of them.

IMG_1143.JPG

The last time I was there I saw evidence an ATV had been though so I took the same route back and checked on it. The tracks are still there.

IMG_1146.JPG

It turns out they lead right to a survey line close to the red road with multiple cut trees which is common with GPS surveying. I suspect it was surveyors and not someone who just went there to drive through it.

This is an odd bug.

IMG_1165a.jpg

This bird was very curious or just wanted me out of there.

IMG_1170a.jpg

By 1PM I was exhausted and started home. On the way home I checked on a location where I had found one Morning Glory a few months back. It turns out there are at least two more and I found them because they flower for so long and were still flowing today. As the long vines grow they keep producing flowers.

IMG_1175a.jpg

Guy