Crowley's Landing boat launch reopens tomorrow!

Was looking to book a campsite, and noticed this go up on the Wharton page:

"We are pleased to announce that the Crowley's Landing Boat Launch, Mullica River, Wharton State Forest, will reopen on Saturday, July 25, 2015. The ramp was closed due to structural damage. Boat Launch Permits will not be required for the remainder of the season but permits will be required beginning Memorial Day weekend, 2016."

Reactions: ecampbell

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
Has anyone used the new ramp? What a piece of crap, leave it to the state to close a useable ramp for two years and replace it with a ramp worse than the old one.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The picture in the following Facebook link was taken two days ago and it shows the same problem that existed there before. You were forced to launch a boat downstream of the ramp at lower tides. People were cited often for not staying on the ramp so I suppose that will continue too. According to the FB page, someone has already been injured

I had posted once before about this. The ramp should have been built further landward with bulkheads on each side to allow the water to flood the ramp like a stilling well. No current to fight during launching and enough water to launch at most tides.

Money wasted, problem not solved.

If you are on Facebook, check this:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Friends-of-Crowleys-Landing/254764878059226

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
They did move it landward some and took some pitch out. The problem is the pitch ends at the bulkhead, The last 20 feet out to the poles the ramp is almost completely flat. You have less than a foot of water at low tide sometimes for the last 20 foot.
They also put a 6X6 at the end as a stop with nuts above the 6X6 instead of drilling a hole below the top for the nut to sit in. plus the threaded rod is one to two inches above the nuts. I told one of the park maintenance guys about it and said they should cut the rods flush with the nuts before
the ramp opens, did not happen. So some one got cut on them.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
I didn't know ramp was reopened, do you know if the "toll booth" is also open?
Guess they expect you to wait out hightide vs. using the side of ramp LoL

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
There is no fee the rest of this year. I used it today, The water was about 4" below the lowest board on the side and I just got the boat off the trailer. I came in at low tide and used the down river side of the ramp.
Was talking to one of the park police and he said a woman tore up the bottom of her wave runner on the treaded rods at the end of the ramp,
He said it was only two weeks old.

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
Was at Crowley's to day, The tide was real low so I took some pictures to post so if you use the ramp you know what your in for. IMG_2180.JPG IMG_2182.JPG IMG_2187.JPG IMG_2188.JPG IMG_2190.JPG IMG_2194.JPG IMG_2195.JPG