Quarter Mile Revisited

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I was out this morning before 5AM and decided to spend part of my time at Quarter Mile to see what is happening there. I walked there through the woods and took this as the sun was first showing.

IMG_1273.JPG

I had decided that at some point I was going to walk around the complete outside edge of Quarter Mile and I did just that. QM is the poster child of what selective closing of roads can do. Quarter Mile proves that there is ABSOLUTELY no need to close roads other that the ones that go directly to and from a problem area. The PPA is full of shit. The roads there the last time I visited were pure white sand. Today, the vegetation is coming back and I saw very few car or truck tracks and mostly motorcycle activity.

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

This one shows it the best. Click to make larger.

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG

These also really shows the change for the better.

IMG_1294.JPG

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

So remember if you think that closing all or most roads is the answer think again. A threat of fines to the select individuals who seek to severely damage our state parks is sufficient to deter. With frequent visits by the Park Police we have or will see a difference.

Guy

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No barriers. And the signs on one road have been torn off.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I've been back there at least once a week since 2011 when the signs were put up, never a barrier. Never saw police either.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So what do you think is keeping the traffic down because the evidence shows the place is no longer all dirt in the summer?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The roads in are worse than Quarter Mile. Kind of like a barrier. They are driving around the puddles up to the tracks, kind of like they put themselves out of business.

Reactions: Teegate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was there too, with the Botany Club, on Saturday. A few motorcycles made it to the first puddle, did a turn-around and left.

By the way, this is a truism: Motorcycles are not a problem in the pines. If you've ever had to pull a bike out of mud or a bog, you avoid them like the plague in the future. Only a complete idiot would seek out mud holes while on a motorcycle.

Great report Guy. I'm glad to see it's coming back. We were on the eastern leg, where it's not so quickly returning.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
It's funny. You look at your pictures and compare them to Al's blog, he revisited it also with a much different opinion on its condition.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It's funny. You look at your pictures and compare them to Al's blog, he revisited it also with a much different opinion on its condition.

To each his own. I will get out my past photos of the place and try and make a few "Then and Now" photos.

Reactions: smoke_jumper

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am going there again soon so I will take my old photos with me.

Here is one from 2010

IMG_5065.JPG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Sadly, the aluminum cans and bottles were not picked up. They'll last a few decades. The Atsion Cleanup should target this area for a clean sweep.

Reactions: oji

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Sadly, the aluminum cans and bottles were not picked up. They'll last a few decades. The Atsion Cleanup should target this area for a clean sweep.
There are 2 cans in my recycle and one balloon in my trash from out there. I may go back out to check out the the area we didn't get to. I'll take a bigger bag with me then.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is very little trash out there. Someone has been cleaning up.

Reactions: oji