Jersey cranberry farm celebrates 125 years

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The article does not exactly say it, but hints that the name Haines was the first (or one of the first) to create bogs for cranberries. I also read where Sorden's bogs were the first in 1850. And Peg Leg Webb?...well, I don't know. It's confusing.

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
The article does not exactly say it, but hints that the name Haines was the first (or one of the first) to create bogs for cranberries. I also read where Sorden's bogs were the first in 1850. And Peg Leg Webb?...well, I don't know. It's confusing.

Budd's Bogs in Southampton I believe is the oldest cultivated property in New Jersey. There was almost 4 times the cranberry acreage back in the 40's in New Jersey then there are now. But look at the yield differnce. Them days 10 barrels an acre was an average, and today some varieties pick anywheres from 300 to 700 barrels an acre. A barrel is 100 pounds of useable fruit.

Reactions: oji and Don Catts

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Budd's Bogs in Southampton I believe is the oldest cultivated property in New Jersey. There was almost 4 times the cranberry acreage back in the 40's in New Jersey then there are now. But look at the yield differnce. Them days 10 barrels an acre was an average, and today some varieties pick anywheres from 300 to 700 barrels an acre. A barrel is 100 pounds of useable fruit.

Cranberry Barrel with built in mouse hole. It's in my overhead, there could be two mouse holes by now.
IMG_0980 (7).JPG

1/4 barrel box, I made a breadbox out of it
IMG_8039.JPG

I have some 1/2 barrel boxes also. Same as 1/4 only larger, of course.

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
When I lived in Greenwich I recall the long time residents always mentioned a cranberry bog on Piney Mount that was supposed to be one of the earliest bogs in New Jersey. Wasn't managed like the modern bogs are; was probably a wild bog that was improved on for harvesting. There were also supposed to be some early native bogs west of there, off Gravelly Hill Road in Quinton Township.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
amf I was just at that bog.It is private and the guy I went with had permission.There are a couple nice cypress growing along it with knees also you can see pics of a stone monument i took out there on my Cumberland Stones thread.I took no pics of the bog.sorry:-(