Penn Branch Bike Trail

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
I was scouting out a new activity for my wife and I this weekend so I checked out the Penn Branch bike trail.
Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 11.40.35 AM.png

I had never know it was there before I saw it on the MAP a couple months back and have been meaning to check it out. I found it where it crossed over Mount Sandy Ridge Road (closest to home) and hiked it for a few miles.

IMG_2311.jpg

Looks to be about 20 miles long, based on the mile marker I came across.
IMG_2308.jpg

Anyone ridden this trail? Was hoping to get out and bike the whole loop soon. I was expecting a wider, more straight trail, but was a rather narrow and winding trail and not what I was expecting. Should be a lot of fun to ride.

When I was writing this up, I came across Ed's post on it from a few years ago:
https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/penn-branch-mountain-bike-trail.8051/

Stamos

Scout
Jun 11, 2009
Shamong
I've ridden the entire trail system on my single speed and I can attest to it being very tight and twisty with very little to no elevation gain. It is mostly hard pack sand with lots of pedaling. It is marked very well, so getting lost shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: SuperChooch

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Hey, how do you like those fat tires? I have been meaning to ride those trails also. I have been seeing a lot of the fat bikes lately. are they the thing for sand?

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Hey, how do you like those fat tires? I have been meaning to ride those trails also. I have been seeing a lot of the fat bikes lately. are they the thing for sand?
I was going to ask the same question. I was planning on shopping around for a new mountain bike this spring and was wondering if those kind of tires are new big thing......

TheePackRat

Scout
Mar 27, 2014
Atco
They are just the ticket for sand and snow. The real deep stuff is still a little work but when the tire pressure is right you roll right over it. The traction is fantastic and the heavier wheels spin up a little slower but the momentum makes up for it. They are set up tubeless with sealant so thorns are not a problem. I'm a lifelong bike enthusiast with BMX roots into MTBing and I grin every single time I ride the fatbike. It took a little while but their popularity has increased alot in the last couple of years. Bike companies and shops have resisted them considering them a fad but this is what off road bikes should have been all along.

I have a spare if you want to give it a try.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A blue one has been riding around Quarter Mile. I see those tire tracks all the time there. When walking you can distinguish between them and motorcycle tires by how the rider has been maneuvering in the sand.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm surprised at the size of the sprocket. Could they have made it any smaller? You need to keep the momentum going at all costs? How's that work out for the rider...looks like a lot of pedaling involved.

TheePackRat

Scout
Mar 27, 2014
Atco
There is not much coasting in the sand. You will slow down real quick but it's not hard to maintain 12+ MPH with this gearing. It's comparable to going 20+MPH on a road bike factoring in the wind vs sand resistance. This set up is actually a dual singlespeed. Takes about 30 seconds to move the chain over onto a second set of gears for deep snow, low speed exploring or the kind of sand you would not want to stop a car in. On pavement, yeah, you would be spinning on the way to the woods but that's not where these shine.

TheePackRat

Scout
Mar 27, 2014
Atco
Still playing and digesting what you taught me. Would like to resume lessons when I start earning money again. Stay at home dad has it's pros and cons.