Hunting Bucks

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
So I gone hunting for Bucks.... tavern that is. This post chronicles my search for the forgotten tavern, that according to Boyer, was a favorite destination for the workmen of Martha.
Bucks in Literature.jpg
The route....
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z580-UUkq_6s.kRbo_IPy9bAA&usp=sharing

I parked just north of the intersection of Shamong Rd and Calico/Warren Grove Rd. and set out on foot.
Soon we crossed the lower branch of Bucks Run...
South Branch of Buck Run.jpg

A short distance later we were delighted by the beauty of this Pond/Spung just south of the possible tavern site. This pond becomes a map feature beginning with the 1872 map of Burlington Co. ...
Spung just South of Buck's Tavern.jpg Spung just South of Buck's Tavern (2).jpg 1872 map of Burl co.jpg

After crossing the Northern branch of Bucks Run and entering the clearing that we hoped contained evidence of Bucks Tavern. We were met however with a block foundation we presume was a hunting cabin built in the early 20th century. Although it was cool to find the block ruin, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't the tavern. I didn't give up hope however. We had entered the clearing on the Southern edge, and found the remains of the block building toward the back of the clearing. As I sat upon the block wall and ate a sandwich, by buddy was exploring along the North side of the clearing moving toward Shamong Rd. It wasn't very long before I heard him cry-out Cellar hole!
Cellar Hole of Buck's Tavern (3).jpg Cellar Hole of Buck's Tavern (2).jpg Cellar Hole of Buck's Tavern.jpg

This was the sort of thing I hoped to find. This structure has a ironstone foundation and the hole is large and deep - similar to the cellar holes I've found at other Tavern sites. The red cedars growing within and around the hole were huge/old...
Large Red Cedar by Buck's Tavern a.jpg

There were other shallower holes adjacent to the cellar hole that could be out buildings or stables...
Behind Buck's Tavern poss out buildings.jpg

Last edited:

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
A possible well out front...
View of Buck's Tavern showing the Well.jpg Poss Well in front of Buck's Tavern.jpg

Another possible well was found right by the road. Into this well, I was able to push my walking stick all the way to the handle...
Well by road near Buck's Tavern.jpg

Here are a few old Items found inside the cellar hole...
Some of the items found in the cellar hole of Buck's Tavern.jpg

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
Feeling rather pleased with what we have found, we decided that since we were in the neighborhood, we would make the trek over to Nash's cabin. Having never approached from this direction, it turned out not to be a very far hike to up Shamong Road and down Nash's Cabin Road.
The most interesting aspect of this walk was the old cellar holes we found adjacent to the north side of Nash's cabin Rd. I have never before seen these unknown holes. They were old, constructed with ironstone, and a possible well was found. They would have existed well before Nash's cabin. The oak trees surrounding the site were big and old. Anyone familiar with these?...
Unknown Site just West of Nash's Cabin b.jpg Unknown Site just West of Nash's Cabin a.jpg Poss Well at unknown site just West of Nash's Cabin.jpg

Last edited:

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
Some photos from Nash's cabin. By the way, does anyone know the story behind those old white pines that grow on the left side of the trail into Nash?...
Nash's Cabin g.jpg Nash's Cabin f.jpg Nash's Cabin e.jpg Nash's Cabin a.jpg
Nash's Cabin d.jpg Nash's Cabin c.jpg Nash's Cabin b.jpg

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You have discovered the Oswego Gun Club. That property was preserved by the Feds, the State, NJCF and others.

http://www.nj.gov/military/publications/guardlife/volume35no1/15.html

Here is your pond. Notice the line running through it. That is the property line.

pond.jpg

20th Century Building and the privey.

Gun_Oswego.jpg

Some of the things you found.

oswego_gun.jpg

Our webmaster at the ruins.

ben.jpg

This is the exact survey line of the property. Notice the line running through the pond. Compare with the photo above showing the pond.

survey.jpg

There always is a chance that the older ruins there are the tavern you are looking for. We looked them over also on our visits there.

Guy

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It looks like the place was still in use in 1972. But by 1995 it was destroyed. However, I can narrow it down even more. The map showing the pond and the dwelling was made on 9/30/1981 so we can be pretty certain the building was still there at that date.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Buck Run is still active as redneck stated. I have a met and had conversations with a member of the Oswego gun club. He just recently sold the ground within the last ten years to NJCF in conjunction with the bombing range. He still has rights to hunt the property.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Highland park is at the ives branch pond. The club house is no longer there other than the concrete slab but acording to the tax maps the land is still owned by the club.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Buck Run is still active as redneck stated. I have a met and had conversations with a member of the Oswego gun club. He just recently sold the ground within the last ten years to NJCF in conjunction with the bombing range. He still has rights to hunt the property.

Pines, what does this actually mean..."sold the ground within the last ten years to NJCF in conjunction with the bombing range." ??

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Tracker, the funds to purchase the land from the Oswego Gun club was paid for by NJCF and the department of defense. Also i have seen green acres signs as well now. The DOD has a program to purchase land to buffer their military installations. There was a topic on this site before. There also was a newspaper article about the gentleman who is tasked with finding landowners and brokering deals for the DOD. I will post a link when I get home and find it. Information can also be found on the NJCF website.