My first Orchid of the season

cnycharles

Sep 5, 2015
elmer nj
Found seed pods of platanthera clavellata near Millville and pinks a few weeks ago, pics in other thread. Saw very early pinks yesterday, first seeing flowers! Others in same area not even emerged plus some just coming up

Reactions: oji

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Listera australis. I found these a stone's throw away from Barnegat Bay.

smalltwayblade.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: oji and Teegate

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Found seed pods of platanthera clavellata near Millville and pinks a few weeks ago, pics in other thread. Saw very early pinks yesterday, first seeing flowers! Others in same area not even emerged plus some just coming up
There is Platanthera clavellata growing in the Cedar swamp area right alongside where we met last year.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
already? That's very early. White lake?

Sussex county...yes. The Small Yellows in the handful of areas I know are all in some stage of bloom. They are plus or minus were they should be. I don't think the cooler season effected them at all. However, the Greater Yellows are about a week or more behind.

cnycharles

Sep 5, 2015
elmer nj
Nice video, nice light showy orchis and yellows! The only place I'd seen white showy orchis was a small patch in north central Vermont that also had two or three other variations of the pink. Were the large yellows in a north jersey park or private property? There's an area near Labrador ski area with a very large population of yellows, and heartleaf twayblade and early coralroot that can be in flower all at the same time
A few friends and I will be going up to the Catskills tomorrow to try and catch lesser whorled pogonia in flower. I've seen a bunch of plants now but none with an open or unblasted flower. A group in md. don't seem to be flowering much though a number of plants. Hopefully we aren't too early