Upper Wading River

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Is there any official word on whether use of saws, loppers, etc is permitted to remove blowdowns that obstruct passage ? I could see it being very slow going on little used waterways due to obstructions and portaging would be difficult in some areas.

I bet there is a law against it, but I think it would be silly to let that stop us.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Jeff, what part of the Sleeper did you paddle? That little river seems to pop up and disappear over and over again.

Ed,
As Gabe pointed out we did the stretch from the old miller bogs to nearly Wescoat. I also did from the beaver pond in the great swamp toward Wescoat going upstream but didn't get too far once I got into the cedar swamp. It is really choked up in there. Additionally, I went from 206 west through the dutchtown bogs and parkdale to the railroad. I did a trip report on that but the pics probably won't load anymore. That was a long time ago.

Yeah Gabe, we should do that again and continue as far as we can. South of Wescoat is that cedar swamp which is impassable. I've hiked the sleeper along the banks in there and, man oh man, that is seriously remote, Ed, you probably remember crossing the Sleeper in there when we crossed the great swamp with PBX. I think you were on that hike.

Jeff

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I wasn't on that PBX hike but I have crossed the Great swamp in a few different places and the Sleeper as you say is terrible in there and most of the swamp was the worst deadfall I have ever seen.Took me two hours to make a half mile,the last quarter mile out to the open medders along the western edge was nice cedar swamp though.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Is there any official word on whether use of saws, loppers, etc is permitted to remove blowdowns that obstruct passage ? I could see it being very slow going on little used waterways due to obstructions and portaging would be difficult in some areas.

I know of none, clubs and rental shops do it all the time. I carry my little cordless chainsaw which has come in handy. :D

3157c1c8-71ee-4c41-9dca-43a0ccb5c520_1000.jpg