Snakes

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I agree with Emile Devito's characterization of ORV abuse and I admire his conservationist zeal. But I completely disagree with his proposed solution. He also seems to think that anyone who opposes MAP is an anti-conservationist monster trucker who should be sent to jail. I know that I'm newer to this than many here but is this guy for real?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Emile is the man actually. Super nice guy who will help anyone out. Ive known Emile a while and i tracked rattlesnakes for NJCF for a few summers and Emile would do anything I suggested. Bottom line is Emile gets stuff done. Can he be over the top at times? Sure. But he has a uncanny ability to make things happen. Anyone who loves the barrens shouldnt say a bad thing about the guy because he does a ton of things to enhance the area. I actually find this video to be super well done and Emile does a great job of being engaging.

Last edited:

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Great video! I recognize all of the areas presented which means I may have spent to much time out with Dragon over the years.

If you get to know Emile you will see that he is no nonsense and is straight forward about what needs to be done. You might find his answers hard to swallow and a bit elitist but he is honest and correct about solutions.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Emile is the man actually. I actually find this video to be super well done and Emile does a great job of being engaging.
I don't disagree with anything you said. But showing the destruction of vernal pools and wetlands by big trucks then implying that anyone who is against MAP is complicit in a criminal activity is absurd. He may be the man, and he may get stuff done, but I disagree with his characterization of what I am allowed to do as a "local". I'm not the problem, the idiots in the videos are. And Gibby, if you mean he is correct about MAP then I respectfully do not agree.

Reactions: tsqurd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a great video with many great bits of information. Way too much information. Emile has to know he is helping the amature collectors cause here when showing where the eggs are. And don't get me started with snake tunnels. They would be a collectors dream.

Jon ... you are absolutely correct.

Guy

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Holcombe

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I enjoyed the video about the snakes. Bringing the MAP up really detracted from an otherwise very informative video. By his own words I am an environmental criminal and should be in jail based on my stance on the MAP.
I was raised to respect nature and that's exactly how I am raising my kids. Just like anyone else I hate being lumped into a group based solely on one thing.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I like Emile too, even though I don't share his views all the time. He is a funny guy, and can take a ribbing too.
He seems like quite a guy, and I would actually like to have a conversation with him about MAP to figure out whether he really believes what he's saying or it's just hyperbole. The problem is, when I have tried to engage people from PPA (at the Pinelands Short Course or by email), they blow me off, as if there is no grounds for discussion.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
He seems like quite a guy, and I would actually like to have a conversation with him about MAP to figure out whether he really believes what he's saying or it's just hyperbole. The problem is, when I have tried to engage people from PPA (at the Pinelands Short Course or by email), they blow me off, as if there is no grounds for discussion.

Emile actually works for the New Jersey Conservation Foundation. He really believes in what he's saying. He is guileless.

We have to consider that not everyone is like us; they don't feel the freedom we get from roaming the roads, stopping to explore whatever interests us. For people like me (and perhaps others on this forum), the visual panorama of the forest as I drive along also invokes a peace and serenity not found elsewhere. But for other people, especially the strict scientist or conservationist like Emile and PPA personal, they have a single purpose in mind; they probably see it from a more scientific view (i.e., this is an interesting biosphere, and the flora and fauna need protection for study and open space purposes). I really don't think they have the same emotional attachment we do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
We have to consider that not everyone is like us; they don't feel the freedom we get from roaming the roads, stopping to explore whatever interests us. For people like me (and perhaps others on this forum), the visual panorama of the forest as I drive along also invokes a peace and serenity not found elsewhere. But for other people, especially the strict scientist or conservationist like Emile and PPA personal, they have a single purpose in mind; they probably see it from a more scientific view (i.e., this is an interesting biosphere, and the flora and fauna need protection for study and open space purposes).
"They took all the trees and put 'em in a tree museum. And charged all the people, a dollar and a half just to see 'em."

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I am an environmental criminal! Funny how if the rest of us grab a snake we are psychologically damaging it but for "Snake Whisperer" here it is okay.
Sounds like another outsider coming down here {from North Jersey by the sound of the accent} and telling the rest of us how to live.Nice trick by the way showing people exactly how to find pine snake eggs.
If their worried about snake inbreeding wouldn't it make sense to bring some rattlers in from outside where their plentiful?Every time I suggest this I get 'We can't screw up the DNA!" Well isn't inbreeding screwing up the DNA? I mean look what it's done to me!

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I dont think that video really reveals that much that could threaten the snakes mentioned. For people who seek pine snakes the structure of the dens and were the eggs are laid is fairly well known. My only beef with the video is that a person will now know those three species exist on the grounds but that too is common knowledge to most.

Bob summed explained the situation well. It has always been a case of people employed or taking a very scientific approach to the barrens versus people who use it more for recreation. Those two will never see eye to eye completey, but there is a balance that truely needs to be found. I think the more you get to know the ecosystem the less you want to see people even out in the barrens. Everyone seems like someone who might impact the area negatively, be it poaching, orv use, etc. One thing with Emile though is he is very willing to get volunteers involved if they have that protective mentality over the barrens that alot of us share. If you show a real love of the barrens he will give you the time of day to discuss whatever you want and he is a great resource to get things accomplished. Its just those type that think the barrens is a playland to abuse that irratates him and he is vocal about that. Thats just my opinion from being in the field with him alot. He is actually great to be in the field with because he will bust balls all day and i dont think he truely is as big an elistist as maybe that video portrays, he just has a big big personality.