Southern Flying Squirrel

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
Found two today. They took up residence in my Bluebird boxes.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Had one out to menantico about ten years ago in broad daylight jump out of a tree and soar to the ground at the base of a tree not six feet from me.I hopped over to check the critter out and he was gone.There was a hole in the base of said tree hid by brush at ground level.Something tells me he knew that was there before he jumped:)

Reactions: mudpie

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
One almost gave me a heart attack-ack-ack sometime back when I was cleaning out a bird house. Came out, ran down my arm, leaped from my shoulder and glided to a pine tree. I was left trying to stay attached to the ladder.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
When I moved to a home on Atsion Rd in 2002, I never met the previous owner but they left a nice note for the real estate agent to give the buyer. One of the things in the note was how much they enjoyed watching the flying squirrels in the yard. I lived there about 4 years and never saw one myself. :)

Reactions: dogg57 and mudpie

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
One almost gave me a heart attack-ack-ack sometime back when I was cleaning out a bird house. Came out, ran down my arm, leaped from my shoulder and glided to a pine tree. I was left trying to stay attached to the ladder.
When I was about sixteen I was playing basketball at the Union Lake court when I noticed a squirrel jump up onto the edge of a 55 gallon drum used for a trash can.He them jumped down into the can.I decided to sneak over and scare the ever lovin crap out of him.I went into full stalk mode.I crept up to the edge of the can and then suddenly poked my head over the edge expecting said squirrel to shreek and leep up the tree next to me.Instead all I saw was a nearly full can with a big pizza box on top.No squirrel.I then grabbed the pizza box and flipped it over,that was when I got my shreek,only it was me. The squirrel shreeked as well .He was under the box.He ran up my arm and leapt to the pine tree behind me. I thought for sure He was gonna chew me a new hole. I don't know who counted coup on who? I"d call it a draw.

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
The first one I saw on Friday did his full routine. Jumped, ran, flew and parachuted. The second guy was in a deep deep sleep when I opend the box. It took all his nerve and energy just to get away from me.
Interesting little furballs.

Reactions: Boyd and manumuskin