Camp Dix

Picked up some WWI pictures from a post card set last winter while down the shore, and just stumbled back across them while doing very late Spring cleaning this week.

The stamp on them reads "Camp Dix", but they don't seem to be particularly pine barrensesque. I'd imagine the original photos weren't necessarily shot there, but with the studio in NY, it's not an impossibility either. I'm no expert on WWI deployments, but I'd imagine there were a lot more camps in the tri-state area than just Camp Dix to facilitate getting the men across the water to Europe.

Regardless, they are pretty neat. Here are a few of them, including the cover. There are 12 total.

camplifefortdix01.jpg

camplifefortdix06.jpg

camplifefortdix07.jpg

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/campdix.htm
Fort Dix has been serving America's Army since July 18, 1917, when its predecessor, Camp Dix, was officially established as a training and staging camp for troops destined for the battlefields of Europe during World War I.

I'm curious if these pictures were actually taken at Camp Dix, or taken somewhere else and sold at Camp Dix to soldiers as mementos of the types of training they had done, even if the pictures weren't in the right spot. None of them look very pine barrens, but none of them look like they couldn't be there either.

Last edited:

Wreckless

Jan 9, 2009
Ocnaled
Thank you for sharing those. Some look very familiar and I bet were just canned military shots attributed to Dix but shot elsewhere. Others I have never seen before.