Unusual Sighting in Greenwood

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They still may have been looking for ATV riders or illegal activity.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Nice catch. How close did it get to you?

Pretty close, or it seemed that way. The helicopter was approximately where the marker is in the above link. I was driving NE on Kerns and could hear it, but couldn't see it, approaching the field I could see "something" (first picture posted). I would guess I stopped 30 yards or beyond the tree line. Once I stopped I saw 3 soldiers in the far right of field, they didn't seem to mind me being there, so I stayed and watched for a few. The helicopter stayed down like that, but powered up for several minutes before slowly taking off. They flew by, not yet over the tree tops and gave a big wave. After it was gone, I motioned over to the guys on the ground to see if it was OK to continue. They pointed to the road around the outside of the field, so thats where I headed. Just as I got back onto Kerns on the other side of the field, minding my own business, when this deafening sound came out of nowhere. The helicopter quickly passed overhead, just above the trees and seemed to stop above the field again. Pretty cool to see!

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Just seen this thread. Apparently this location is used frequently for their operations. I wasn't present, but a few friends were out riding last year and came upon the same operation at the same location. They also stopped, took pics then the helo took off. They didn't notice troops on the ground but maybe the operations were complete and the troops were already back on the helo. My friends proceeded down the road after the help took off.
I've also witnessed helo operations in the vicinity of the "50 fields" area in Greenwood.