Autumn color on the river

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
The trees around my house are still mostly green, but on the river is another story. Sunrise October 19.
october19_1.jpg

october19_2.jpg

october19_3.jpg

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
You nailed it MM. I see more green and water in your shot, so I am guessing that you were there in the spring or early summer. It's funny, some areas of the forest are beautiful, and you pointed out the Tulpehocken. But finding, and getting to, exactly the right location before sunrise, is harder than I thought. Over time, I hope to explore the Oswego and Wading, the plains and more.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
That is a gorgeous composition Chooch, really a perfect shot. I've been working this area because the position of the sun, the river and foliage are good right now. For every ten trips into the forest I may find one area to shoot, and often have to go back many times. I have increasing respect for the photography of Al Horner and Ernest Cozens.

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
That is a gorgeous composition Chooch, really a perfect shot. I've been working this area because the position of the sun, the river and foliage are good right now. For every ten trips into the forest I may find one area to shoot, and often have to go back many times. I have increasing respect for the photography of Al Horner and Ernest Cozens.
Regarding Al Horner I attended a presentation by him of his works yesterday at Atlantic County Community College. He indicated that in some cases he has visited certain sites over the course of YEARS before finding that right shot. Biggest challenge has been daytime visible moon shots not obscured by clouds during sunrise. Franklin Parker, Friendship Bogs, Locks Bridge areas were featured prominently in his presentation...

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
PBA, The Pinelands National Reserve is 1,819 sq. miles. When I look at the various rivers I've yet to photograph: Oswego, Batsto, Wading, South, Nescochauge, Great Egg Harbor, Tulpehocken... plus all the branches, and all of the other areas yet to explore... it is intimidating. I had a brief conversation with Ernest Cozens on the phone, and he said (I'm sure tongue-in-cheek), "It's just a matter of getting to right location at the right time". That is of course so hard to do. I am sure that it took years of patiently, and persistently, going back to the same spot over and over to photograph the stunning light, and clouds, that he has been able to capture.

Reactions: SuperChooch

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Jon, in the first shot, I can easily smell that area just by looking at the photo. That stimulus to both sight and smell is what makes a great photo for me.

Well done.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
You nailed it MM. I see more green and water in your shot, so I am guessing that you were there in the spring or early summer. It's funny, some areas of the forest are beautiful, and you pointed out the Tulpehocken. But finding, and getting to, exactly the right location before sunrise, is harder than I thought. Over time, I hope to explore the Oswego and Wading, the plains and more.
I know several easy ways to get into various areas of the Tulpe.Also Temakwehocken has a couple easy accesses with some awesome views.Problem is once there you will be drawn inward and onward and with your cumbersome gear this could be a problem. You need to develop a lightweight packable waterproof system.Some of my friend Whipoorbills pics were taken standing chest deep in the Tulpe and thats without a waterproof camera.The Mullica did claim one camera of his.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I saw your message and responded MM. I would never have known Tulpe and Temakwehocken were locations to photograph without your direction. Thank you!

Last edited: