Weird iPhone issue

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
First I've heard about this, but if you read some of the posts here, evidently it's been going on for quite awhile...

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...tivation-locked-with-wrong-apple-ids.2004550/

An increasing number of iPhone users are experiencing an Activation Lock issue in which the device is linked to an Apple ID email address that does not belong to them, according to crowdsourced information from MacRumors and Twitter. With the wrong Apple ID being displayed, users cannot sign in
…….

"I work at Best Buy and I've seen many customers reporting this issue. It even happened to a customer I personally sold an iPhone 6s to, and we called Apple and they said the Apple ID on her iPhone was registered to someone in China :S . My customer had to send a picture of her receipt to have this fixed. I really wanna know whats going on. BTW, this happened before the iPhone 7 was released! So I dont think this started recently."

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Odd!

I finally now have an iPhone. I have pay as you go and have never been able to get one. Recently, Jessica noticed that the iPhone 5S was available to run with AT&T pay as you go phones so we both purchased one.

Reactions: Boyd

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Just upgraded my 5S to a 6+ on Tuesday. It's like having a portable television ! Still fits in the pocket of my dungarees and is a lot easier to view on these old eyes.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I had a 5s for two years and really liked it. Upgraded to a 6s Plus a year ago and it's my all-time favorite. I have several maps for the Galileo app if you are interested. Have been meaning to put these online but am working on anothe big project now and map-making is going to be on hold for quite some time unfortunately.

But let me know if you're interested. The files are very large though, not so good if you have the 16gb phone.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I had a 5s for two years and really liked it. Upgraded to a 6s Plus a year ago and it's my all-time favorite. I have several maps for the Galileo app if you are interested. Have been meaning to put these online but am working on anothe big project now and map-making is going to be on hold for quite some time unfortunately.

But let me know if you're interested. The files are very large though, not so good if you have the 16gb phone.

Thanks Boyd but I do only have the 16 gig model.
I have a very short list of apps which include Saltwater Tides, Buoyweather, LITE, Shazam and Untappd.
The rest of my memory is reserved for downloading videos of cats playing pianos.
:)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was reading last night that very soon all of the iPhones in the Apple store will no longer be attached to a cord. You will be able to pick it up and put it into your pocket to see how it fits and play with it without it being attached. It is surmised that they may have a way to "brick" it if you leave the store with it making the phone pretty much worthless to you.

I am wondering if they have a way to keep location services on even if you turn it off which would allow the phone to be tracked.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
See this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201365 and this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204233

I don't think it can be tracked, but the thief can't turn off "Find my iPhone" and can't prevent the phone from being erased and locked. So basically they will have a paperweight. :)

I also read about this new policy, and wondered if they have a way of setting off an alarm if a phone leaves the store. I think there are various ways this could be implemented. Indoor phone tracking is a big area of interest now, for example, sending info to your phone inside a store depending on what products you are looking for. One system uses the microphone on the phone to sense sounds above the range of human hearing.
________

"If you see "Offline," "No location available," or "Location Services Off," … You can still play a sound, send a message, issue a lock request, or start an erase of your iOS device with Find My iPhone. Your device will receive the command after it's turned on and has an Internet connection."

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I was reading last night that very soon all of the iPhones in the Apple store will no longer be attached to a cord.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/21/thieves-apple-store-massachusetts/

A group of seven individuals robbed an Apple retail store in Natick, Massachusetts on Tuesday, managing to get away with a total of 19 iPhones worth more than $13,000

...the group of seven is seen walking into the mall where Apple is located, and eventually gathering around one of the iPhone display tables. In "less than a minute," the group had organized and grabbed 19 iPhones from the table and made a beeline out of the store

The Natick Apple location still carried security tethers on the iPhones