Bass River This Morning

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I haven't been posting as of late because I have been spending quite a bit of time in Bass River looking for some historical places as well as stones. Jessica has been sick for a week ( severe upper respiratory infection) so this morning I went out alone. Fortuanly, I was successful finding an interesting stone that most likely dates back to 1761. I believe the WS stands for William Smith and some of you may remember other WS stones that Manumuskin and myself have discovered over the years.

It most likely had a number below the WS which obviously is no longer there. It may have even had the 1761 date which another one had on it.

IMG_0802.JPG

It was a little hard to notice with the tree falling almost on it. After looking over where I found this and the other WS stones it is hard to imagine someone owning that much land. It is a huge area.

IMG_0806.JPG

Switching subjects .... I stopped at the Middle Road bridge that is being repaired at 206 and while there a man on a bicycle rode up. He wanted to get down the road and was not going to let a closed bridge stop him :)

IMG_0815.JPG

The water level difference is about 6 feet.

IMG_0816.JPG

He was carrying his bike.

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
All,

I haven't been posting as of late because I have been spending quite a bit of time in Bass River looking for some historical places as well as stones. Jessica has been sick for a week ( severe upper respiratory infection) so this morning I went out alone. Fortuanly, I was successful finding an interesting stone that most likely dates back to 1761. I believe the WS stands for William Smith and some of you may remember other WS stones that Manumuskin and myself have discovered over the years.

It most likely had a number below the WS which obviously is no longer there. It may have even had the 1761 date which another one had on it.

IMG_0802.JPG

It was a little hard to notice with the tree falling almost on it. After looking over where I found this and the other WS stones it is hard to imagine someone owning that much land. It is a huge area.

IMG_0806.JPG

Switching subjects .... I stopped at the Middle Road bridge that is being repaired at 206 and while there a man on a bicycle rode up. He wanted to get down the road and was not going to let a closed bridge stop him :)

IMG_0815.JPG

The water level difference is about 6 feet.

IMG_0816.JPG

He was carrying his bike.

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

Guy
Awesome! I thought there must be more of them!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was looking over old information I had and noticed I had missed something in the years past. So today we traveled to Allen Road to see if we could find it. Sure enough, directly in woods across from the road to the Pilgrim Campground we found it. You can see the road in the distance.

IMG_0845a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It may be. It is a corner stone on the line that does go to the WS stone I posted about in the posts above.

BTW, I did look again for the stone marked 3 off of Dan's Bridge Road that you and I looked for a few years back. Nothing.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have nothing going on down here stone wise at all.I keep watching the county deed sites waiting for a new acquisition to turn something up.Went out with my brother a few weeks ago who has permission to hunt a couple properties owned by one individual.He wanted it posted properly,His friend had posted it but my brother thought He was off.he was.I didn't have the deeds but just picking the tax corners I found every corner monument on both properties but one.One property is bordered on the back by state and had the appropriate state monuments but I could find one.The tax map seemed to be twisted and was fairly accurate up one side but not as accurate on the other side.In any case his friend had screwed him out of about 100 yard swath several hundred yards long on both properties.I told him if he wants that other corner found i need the deed from the old man that owns the property:) My brother just went up the road asking permission to hunts folks properties and he lucked out like the third house.Old fellow told Him I have a couple hundred acres behind the house and a couple hundred more across the street.Now little brudda has his own deer kingdom and is quite possessive about it:) He was feeding the deer swett taters but they said yucky! he said they love corn and sugar beets but the turkeys eat half the corn.I told Him turkey sandwiches go good with deer roast.he said you can't hunt both critters at the same time.I told him thats why I won't hunt in NJ.You have to be a rocket scientist here to keep crap legal, almost like their trying to trick you into a fine.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
I have nothing going on down here stone wise at all.I keep watching the county deed sites waiting for a new acquisition to turn something up.Went out with my brother a few weeks ago who has permission to hunt a couple properties owned by one individual.He wanted it posted properly,His friend had posted it but my brother thought He was off.he was.I didn't have the deeds but just picking the tax corners I found every corner monument on both properties but one.One property is bordered on the back by state and had the appropriate state monuments but I could find one.The tax map seemed to be twisted and was fairly accurate up one side but not as accurate on the other side.In any case his friend had screwed him out of about 100 yard swath several hundred yards long on both properties.I told him if he wants that other corner found i need the deed from the old man that owns the property:) My brother just went up the road asking permission to hunts folks properties and he lucked out like the third house.Old fellow told Him I have a couple hundred acres behind the house and a couple hundred more across the street.Now little brudda has his own deer kingdom and is quite possessive about it:) He was feeding the deer swett taters but they said yucky! he said they love corn and sugar beets but the turkeys eat half the corn.I told Him turkey sandwiches go good with deer roast.he said you can't hunt both critters at the same time.I told him thats why I won't hunt in NJ.You have to be a rocket scientist here to keep crap legal, almost like their trying to trick you into a fine.
Thats why my friend keeps the snow plow on the truck......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: