Any luck fishing at Atsion lake?

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Hey all,

My daughter likes fishing and I've taken her fishing at Atsion multiple times over the years but have never caught a single, blessed thing, ever. Now, I've had bad luck fishing all my life, so that may have something to do with it but has anyone else had any luck there? If so, what have you caught and what have you used?

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Hey all,

My daughter likes fishing and I've taken her fishing at Atsion multiple times over the years but have never caught a single, blessed thing, ever. Now, I've had bad luck fishing all my life, so that may have something to do with it but has anyone else had any luck there? If so, what have you caught and what have you used?
Its been awhile but I remember catching small pickerel (12-15 inches) along the shore line...can't remember what I used.

Reactions: SuperChooch

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
Power bait worms work well. set them up for weedless with a razor hook.always caught pickerel in atsion lake.goshen has some bass as well.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I was kayaking last fall on Atsion and a guy was fishing from a kayak, he caught a nice size Pickerel.
I think he was using a spinner bait. I use Red Devil red & white wobbler for Pickerel.

When I was a kid, my father used to take me and a few neighborhood friends to Prospertown Lake and Colliers Mills to fish. One night we went and brought a couple of kids from down the street. We all had fishing equipment that had some wear on it but there was one kid in particular who was pretty thin on equipment and especially tackle. His rod/reel was a half step up from a stick and some string, and his tackle box was likely his father's father's grandfathers with all of the original stuff, i.e. a few rusty hooks, some pieces of nylon line that were too short for anything save dental floss, two loose pieces of split shot and an old candy bar wrapper. Well when we get to the lake this kid (mind you we're about 7 or 8) reaches deep into his tackle box and pulls out an old red-devil spoon and looks up at us all-knowingly with a glimmer of ancient wisdom in his eye and says "this...is my best hook". We all laughed at him and proceeded to fish with our #4 hooks and nightcrawlers.

Well sure as sh*t he caught more fish with that red-devil spoon than all of us caught together. Some nice pickerel too. We might have gotten one or two sunnies and maybe a small bullhead if my memory serves me right. We all thought of him as being ten feet tall for a while after that.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
FWIW, if you want some fun, the Toms River has been on fire with Stripers and Blues the past couple of weeks; some tasty White Perch for the table as well. :D I imagine the bay will light up soon, if it hasn't already, but I'm confined to the shore. :(

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Hey all,

Hey, okay, I am pretty secretive with my fishing tricks because I know if I wasn't there wouldn't be any fish left in the pine barrens (yes, I'm that good! LOL). But, I have a soft spot for kids fishing, so here is the deal...If you agree to not use the information I give you for evil, you know like telling everybody. Then I will PM you on how to make your next trip atsion productive and fun. But you have to agree here first, for everybody to see and witness. Deal?

Jeff

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Woodjin, I have a six year old who loves to fish. If you've got tips, by all means please share! (I am a herper so I am a vault with spots/techniques!)

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Hey, okay, I am pretty secretive with my fishing tricks because I know if I wasn't there wouldn't be any fish left in the pine barrens (yes, I'm that good! LOL). But, I have a soft spot for kids fishing, so here is the deal...If you agree to not use the information I give you for evil, you know like telling everybody. Then I will PM you on how to make your next trip atsion productive and fun. But you have to agree here first, for everybody to see and witness. Deal?

Jeff
Your secrets are safe with me! I won't have too much more time to be a hero to my daughter before I become "annoying". :)

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
BTW, Jeff, remember when my brother Tom and I ran into you fishing a few years back? I took a sneak picture of what you were using. Your secret is safe with me, just wanted you to know that I know.................

Reactions: Longleaf Piney

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I went by Chatsworth lake early this morning and they were out there fishing. Pretty cold.

Longleaf Piney

Feb 12, 2018
Volusia County, FL
In the 30's, right? That's some diehard fishermen right there! Admittedly, Tom M and I fished back in the day and it was so cold icicles formed on the rod tips. Back before Indian Mills lake was developed.

Longleaf Piney

Feb 12, 2018
Volusia County, FL
Brrrrr!!!
Please don't hate me...it was 72 when I left my home this morning...photo this morning on
20210124_143503.jpg
Bio Lab Rd. in Merritt Island NWR.