Sign

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Going west on 532, right at the north roadside, at a corner of an abandoned bog at 390 50’ 16.4”, 740 39’ 47.2”, there’s a small sign: “Grass Site 43.14”

Anyone have information on this?

P.S. While I'm at it, do these bogs have a nime?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is part of the Batsto River headwaters Johnny. I used to call them Birches Bogs, but that's just me.

Not sure what the grass site sign means.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
If you are referring to the property by the sharp bend, it may be owned by the Philadelphia Herpetological Society. Could be an area of study for that organization.

Long ago the area was called Goose Pond. Later the bogs upstream were associated with Martin Luther Haines of Hog Wallow fame. He also owned the bogs at Birches which is on a different branch of the Batsto. The Haines name was also attached to the bogs right along the road but I am not sure about the connection with M.L. Haines. The property at Birches and Goose Pond passed into the Thompson family who were related to Haines. The Cutts family also owned bogs in that area but they have long ago been abandoned.

I believe that in the 1850's there was actually a tavern on the small knoll at the site. The top of the sandstone foundation is still evident. Apparently it was known as Goose Pond and was owned by Aaron B. Moore whose father once owned the Fox Chase Tavern on the current site of Seneca High School. This would have been the same Moore who established the bogs at Moore's Meadow which is watered by the same stream that feeds Birches.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
R. W. Haines either owned the bogs on the south side or the property adjacent.

rwh.JPG

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
I knew it!
I knew people on ths site could and would quickly solve this kind of mystery, but didn't expect it so soon.
THANKS!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My recollection is that the Philadelphia Herpetological Society owned the south side of 532. No?

Yes. They do not own the north side. And they only own up to that corner on the south side with the state owning all of the south side heading east.

herp1.JPG

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
CORRECTION!
We drove by the sign yesterday and read it more carefully (and with my wife's better eyes). It really says:
Draft site 43.14
The mystery of its meaning (and to whom?) deepens.....

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They are all over Johnny. Almost all of the bridges on Carranza Road now have them as well as many other sites. I was thinking the word "draft" means these are locations where water can be taken out of in the event of a fire. I may be wrong but I will check on that.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Yes. They are draft sites for the fire depts. They are usually give a number to identify the exact location. Each engine likely has a binder listing each one so when the officer in charge gives a number they can quickly locate it. The signs are there to help neighboring companies who are coming in find them easier since they might not have the info on the engine.