Any Photobucket users?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I get why they're doing it. It's expensive to be a major image host and not even have a chance to make money or sell ads on any of that traffic.

A better way would have been to disable hot linking for all new photos going forward, although I don't know how feasible that is.

Reactions: manumuskin

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I use PB to post my pictures. My pictures from the last PBX hike are now the third party block. I have used PB for posting pictures for years. I would assume all of my other pictures here and other places are now blocked. $480.00 per year is unrealistic.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Scott's are still there. Will be interesting to see when they go dark, since we know that he got the notification on the 11th.
Not sure who you are talking about, but perhaps this will help... Photobucket had a "Plus" account level, that you paid for - but much less than the $400/year they want now - that provided more storage and no ads. For those accounts, hosting photos will still work until Dec 31, 2018 as long as you keep paying. Then it cuts off. For free accounts, it cuts off immediately. Maybe this applies to Scott?

Also I don't think I got email from them, so maybe they only sent email to paid accounts.

http://blog.photobucket.com/please-review-latest-changes-photobucket/

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Scott is @RednekF350 :)

Thanks for the info on their plus accounts, I had not seen that before. Just looked at their account FAQ that shows you need the $40/month account to embed images. Actually, extending the Plus accounts through the end of next year sounds completely reasonable to me, should give everyone enough time to migrate their images if they want.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Actually, extending the Plus accounts through the end of next year sounds completely reasonable to me, should give everyone enough time to migrate their images if they want.

As always, that depends and you need to read the fine print. The Plus account may or may not be an option depending on your use of PB.

http://photobucket.com/terms

Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits
  • Visiting : There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.
  • Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If you are interested in image linking and/or 3rd party image hosting, you will need to subscribe to one of our Plus Accounts described below. Free account Members can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.

If a free account Member exceeds 2 GB they may: upgrade to a Plus Account by selecting the appropriate Plus Account subscription level, reducing the amount of storage they are using below 2 GB, or by closing their free account.

If a free account Member has engaged in image linking and/or 3rd party image hosting and subsequently receives a notice from Photobucket stating that their free account is not eligible for such services and their ability to use image linking and 3rd party image hosting has been restricted or suspended, they will need to become a Plus Account Member by selecting the appropriate Plus Account (not all Plus Accounts allow image linking or 3rd party image hosting so please select carefully). Alternatively, they may always log into their Photobucket account, download their images and use a non-Photobucket resource for such services in the future.

• Ad-free Account : The Ad-free Account offers Members the ability to use the Site without seeing any third party banner advertisements when logged into your Ad-free Account (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus accounts and you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements). This account level is available for $2.49 / month, payable by the Member on a monthly recurring basis. The Ad-free Account does not allow any image linking or 3 rd party image hosting.
  • Plus Account : The Plus Account offers several paid options that give the Member more storage, bandwidth, 3rd party image hosting, image linking and/or other services as outlined below. Please note that Plus Account subscriptions are billed annually at the commencement of the service. Notwithstanding, Photobucket may also offer a monthly billing option for its Plus Accounts (see terms and restrictions, below).
  • Available Plus Account Plans : Photobucket offers the following Plus Account Plans:
o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 502 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

· ANY PAYING MEMBER WHOSE PLUS ACCOUNT WAS IN GOOD STANDING AS OF JUNE 1, 2017, SHALL CONTINUE TO RECEIVE ALL THE PHOTOBUCKET SERVICES THAT WERE AVAILABLE TO HIM/HER ON SUCH DATE, INCLUDING IMAGE LINKING AND 3RD PARTY IMAGE HOSTING, UNTIL DECEMBER 31, 2018 AS LONG THEY MAINTAIN THEIR CURRENT PLUS ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION OR A HIGHER LEVEL PLUS ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION DURING SUCH PERIOD OF TIME.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Seems like the fine print at that link confirms what @lj762 says. Existing users are good for another year and a half but new users will need the $40/month subscription:

· ANY PAYING MEMBER WHOSE PLUS ACCOUNT WAS IN GOOD STANDING AS OF JUNE 1, 2017, SHALL CONTINUE TO RECEIVE ALL THE PHOTOBUCKET SERVICES THAT WERE AVAILABLE TO HIM/HER ON SUCH DATE, INCLUDING IMAGE LINKING AND 3RD PARTY IMAGE HOSTING, UNTIL DECEMBER 31, 2018 AS LONG THEY MAINTAIN THEIR CURRENT PLUS ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION OR A HIGHER LEVEL PLUS ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION DURING SUCH PERIOD OF TIME.

But "competitive fixed pricing" for 3rd party hosting?... That's hilarious. ;)

http://blog.photobucket.com/please-review-latest-changes-photobucket/

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I meant the "plus" accounts. But at least they appear to have given others a little "heads up" since Scott's account is still working.