Scary kind of Wet

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was about 1/2 mile below the Wading Pines Campground this afternoon, exploring along the river. I came upon a scary looking water pocket that had that ominous "blue hole" feel to it. I was looking around the narrow outlet of it and jumped across a small, sluggish stream emanating from it due the the rains this year.

It was only a two foot jump, but I landed on nothing but floating vegetation (yikes!). I Immediately sunk to my waist, with no bottom for my feet! I reached out to grab something of substance but there was nothing there but more floating vegetation. It was a sinking feeling (no pun intended) and my adrenaline kicked in big time. I lunged upward and grabbed the end of a small red maple hanging over the water. That gave me about a foot towards solid ground, but then it broke, and I could feel myself losing the battle and slowly sinking with my arms outstretched on the vegetation, hoping it would hold. I saw a another small tree on my right and with extreme effort (think swimming in vegetation) wrapped my hand around the base . I'll bet my hand print is still on that tree, my grip was so tight.

Well, I got out, but it was close, very close. The photo shows where I pulled out. My heart rate shot up exponentially.

upload_2017-8-25_21-32-9.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-25_21-29-58.png
    upload_2017-8-25_21-29-58.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 303

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Two weeks ago I was at Whitesbog at 5 AM, in the dark in unfamiliar territory, trying to get to an area below S. Boundry Road. I drove across a bog dam, and against my better judgement I crossed a rut puddle and barely made it, before encountering a large "end of the road" stream that crossed the road, stopping me dead in my tracks. Knowing that I was in trouble, but having no choice, I backed up along the edge of the road, (to avoid the soft wet rut) not realizing I was on a dam, and because it was dark, that I was heading over the edge and about to plunge down the side of the dam. Luckily the vegetation and dirt at the edge caught me and held me fast. I was stuck but good, and only after the sun came up and the wrecker from Flynn's came to pull me out (three hours later) did I realize that I could have turtled onto my roof, slid down the embankment and into the water. They would have found my skeletal remains years from now, clutching my muddy cell phone in my bony fingers. Exploring by yourself definitely has it's risks.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Read a story about a guy who drowned under similar circumstances. Someone said "at least he died doing what he loved". No he didn't, he drowned!!! Found myself in a similar situation a few years later and thought of that article. I got out, but I was truly scared. I'm alone in the woods a lot, but I certainly don't want to exit life out there alone. I am much more careful than I used to be! Glad your story had a good outcome!

Reactions: manumuskin

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The outcome could have been different if the temperature was in the 20's instead of the 80's. More clothes to hamper your efforts and the cold water itself shocking your body.
Be careful out there old man !