Mineral Springs Resorts in the pines

Just finished a book called They Took to the Waters by Harry Weiss and Howard Kemble (The Past Times Press - 1962) that explores the heyday of the mineral springs resort decades in New Jersey and the Philadelphia region of PA. Pretty interesting look at the old "spas" used for health (and by health, it seems mostly vacation and partying).

In and close to the pines, they list resorts or popular springs at Hammonton, Weymouth (listed as an "Indian spring near the old paper mill, which makes me think it's the one still there next to the parking lot, although the book claims it was missing as of 1961), Lumberton (the Mineral Springs Hotel), Mt Holly (several, including one located on the farm of William Richards [yes, THAT William Richards], where he retired and died), and Browns Mills (Browns Mills Boarding House, Greenwood Boarding House, Pine Cottage Boarding House, Newell House, Forest Springs Hotel... some of these may be the same places, but with later names).

Anyone know if any of these old hotels or springs are still around? With a 55 year old book peering back between three and twelve decades, I thought it might be fun to try to find a few of these places, but the details in the book are pretty sketchy for these particular ones.

Also, amazing to realize that having people pay obscene rates for bottles of water is not nearly as new an idea as I thought that it was.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
The Forest Springs Hotel burned down in 1895. There is a picture of the spring at the West Jersey History Project site. It's still there on private property and covered up.

Reactions: MikeBickerson

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I have to read that book. I once spent a little time trying to figure out where the Colestown resort and spring were. I know that's gone, but I wonder if a couple of people in the area have a wet basement and have no idea why.

Reactions: Boyd