Snow day at the bogs

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Standing at the edge of the frozen reservoir, in the cold water on a beaver dam, hearing nothing but the wind for half an hour enjoying the solitude. Suddenly something crashed through the ice 10 feet behind me. Feeling like a seal on an ice flow, I whirled around, almost pulling my set-up into the pond below. 15 seconds later, Mr. Beaver tried to scare me again, 20 feet away. A big brute later watched me from a distance below the dam. I wonder what it's like in Alaska with 1000 lb bears running around?
n_branch_1.jpg

n_branch_2.jpg

Last edited:
T

Toothy Critter

first time a beaver tried to scare me off I was night fishing in my boat. Heard his tail slap the water and took about 5 frantic casts before I saw him and realized it wasn't a huge bass I thought I was hunting :)

Reactions: Jon Holcombe
T

Toothy Critter

If you put a wad of birch bark on a hook could you possibly reel in a beaver?:)

I would not want to tangle with it:( But it is interesting how they just circle around the boat like a shark, slapping the tail as if to say "get lost".. I think the tail slapping is supposed to be a warning sign to other beavers, but I'm not so sure....more like " **** off pal"

Reactions: manumuskin