Crazy crash on water

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Similar things have happened here. In recent memory; 2 incidents outside Barnegat Inlet, and folks were run down in the Metedeconk River. In the Metedeconk incident the bigger boat left the scene leaving people in the water. In all cases people died. I was called to serve on the jury for the Metedeconk River incident.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Similar things have happened here. In recent memory; 2 incidents outside Barnegat Inlet, and folks were run down in the Metedeconk River. In the Metedeconk incident the bigger boat left the scene leaving people in the water. In all cases people died. I was called to serve on the jury for the Metedeconk River incident.

Absolutely terrible. I understand that people are sometimes temporarily impaired for some reason out of their control (i.e. a driver having a stroke and losing control) but accidents that could be prevented with a little less ego and outrageous sense of entitlement infuriate me.

While we were vacationing in Lake George this summer, I saw a poster that had a picture of a little girl jumping into the water with the caption 'Remember Charlotte' on it. I looked into the story and it was a completely preventable boating accident that ended in tragedy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/05/nyregion/lake-george-boat-crash-sentencing.html

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
It doesn't always need to be a high speed incident. Years ago I ran a dive charter boat. About 30' long with the appropriate dive flags attached to the outriggers. Visibility clear to the horizon and seas flat calm. Anchored off the stern with divers doing decompression on the line and another climbing the ladder. I was watching a commercial swordfish boat approaching at about 12kts. Attempts to raise on the radio failed and jumped on the roof waving arms and hollering as the other guys did. At the last second a head popped from around the cabin and the boat went into full reverse, thank God. The boat collided at the forward third of my boat at maybe 2 or 3 kts. Fortunately we were anchored off the stern which allowed my boat to pivot and move with the momentum. Minor structural damage and knocked the diver on the ladder back in the water. No one was hurt which made me take the course of action I did.
I have a good relationship with the commercial fisherman and docked my boat next to their dock. The fisherman took responsibility and had my boat repaired. The capt. and crew were on deck getting their sword gear rigged, music blaring on auto pilot on their way out to the canyon.
Another incident are the damn sailboats from up North on their way South for the winter again on autopilot with the capt. asleep at the helm. These "commuters" are only a couple miles off the coast which is where the majority of the fishing grounds and wrecks are located. Similar scenario as above with divers again preventing me from moving. He missed us by about 30' but was awakened when a handful of 8 oz lead sinkers went bouncing off his boat. All I got was a startled look.
Another larger diveboat, not me, was run down by a tug and it's tows. It was hit by the 3 rd barge in the string. The tugboat co. settled with the diveboat getting another boat. Fortunately again nobody was seriously hurt, only some knocked down on deck.

What about the time and I'm going back some years, fisherman were run down in the ocean off I think Beach Haven in a smaller 20' outboard. Along comes a large powerboat 40+ feet on autopilot. Ran them over just like in the above video. One fisherman was killed. The owner of the large boat did go to court and was convicted. He wasn't even on the bridge but down in the galley either getting a sandwich or a drink.

As for the Metedeconk incident. I would be thrown off the jury as well. While we don't know the details it does appear suspicious. Tell me who owns a boat, car or whatever after hitting something doesn't get out and look at what was hit and the damage, MORE SO in a boat?
I strongly suspect he knew what he did, was probably drunk and figured in the dark he could "get away" with it. Unfortunately it appears he did.

Reactions: h2ochild and Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Another larger diveboat, not me, was run down by a tug and it's tows. It was hit by the 3 rd barge in the string. The tugboat co. settled with the diveboat getting another boat. Fortunately again nobody was seriously hurt, only some knocked down on deck.

My Father worked on the tugs, Socony/Mobil, and one of the big problems with a coastal tow were boaters that had no clue regarding lights on a tow or the rules of navigation in the shipping lanes. Quite a few tried to pass between the tug and tow probably thinking they were 2 separate boats; some made it, most did not without some damage. I recall being headed out there on my boat for some shark fishing and saw a Navy destroyer coming putting up a huge wake. He had right-of-way so we just stopped and idled to watch him pass about 50' away. He had no intention of slowing or adjusting course, as was his privilege. Very impressive sight.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We were heading north under sail out of Barnegat to Block Island when I spotted a large strange looking boat inbound. When it got closer I recognized it as a sail of a boomer heading to New London. George got on the radio " securite, securite, securite To that big boat heading inbound off of New London, your wake sure is impressive". The sub got back and said he would be slowing for us. George thanked him and mentioned we just started cooking fresh caught blue fish. Bluefish filleted alive and immediately eaten are really good, but bleed them.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I've seen boats cut over the tow line also. Fortunately they got away with it. Not knowing the navigation rules is one thing but the incidents described boil down to the one biggest rule, "posted lookout" in virtually every situation posted in this thread there was no lookout. I would think that in maritime court that alone would place fault. In the Metedeconk incident I would appeal and ask to be heard in maritime court. Now if the boat that was struck didn't have navigation or an anchor light lit that's a different story but even that shouldn't excuse the operator from investigating what was hit. Good thing I wasn't on the jury!!

As for our dive boats when night diving we always displayed the all around red-white-red. The irony is of all the incidents I've heard or involved in always happened in daytime, calm conditions good visibility. What scares the crap out of me to this day is in pea soup fog conditions I hear boats operating at high speed. Most don't have radar, many that do don't know how to PROPERLY read and tune and while even if the best capt. , not all targets display such as low small outboards. I and other dive boats I know hoist a radar reflector in poor visibility conditions.

Reactions: h2ochild

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I would think that in maritime court that alone would place fault.

Admiralty Law does not apply. Cases like those mentioned must be held in Fed or State courts. With the exception of requirements for a commercial CG license, IMHO the requirements for operating a motorized vessel are woefully inadequate. Sit for a minimum 8 hr class, lunch usually included, at CG Auxiliary, US Power Squadron, or go online, and then pass a very basic test(80% correct) recognized by NJ State Police. No actual operation of a vessel is required. Kids 14 and older can do it. Non-motorized sailboats excluded.

Reactions: h2ochild

h2ochild

Scout
Nov 24, 2010
Bass River Township
46'er I agree, but it IS somewhat better than the past training that consisted of a sixpack of beer and a Capt's hat. There are a lot of bars and restaurants with tie up facilities that I see as a big problem. I still see a lot of inebriated folks on the water. The main operating problem is speed. Many have one speed throttles.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Agree withh2ochild, as inadequate as the boating "permit" is, it's certainly better than it was. It also now is something that can be taken away and fines imposed. Even a real CG capts. license [6 pack] doesn't have the strength it used to have. Take a course, get a few friends to sign for your time, take the test and never owned or operated a boat in your life. However at least they had to memorize the rules, lights, day shapes and plotting/navigation. In many ways someone is actually "better off" NOT having a CG license. In the event of a mishap a person with a license is held to a higher standard.