Ocean Spray

rc911

Explorer
Apr 23, 2015
Cream Ridge, NJ
Attached is a full wall painted mural in the front office/meeting room of the now defunct Ocean Spray Cranberry processing plant on Park Avenue in Bordentown.
IMG_2927.jpg

Reactions: Boyd and h2ochild

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
In my younger days I worked for a mechanical contractor in Burlington. We did a job in that building replacing titanium and stainless steel piping that the cranberry juice ate holes through!! Mostly on 90 and 45 degree turns and "T" junctions where the "sludge" would sit

Reactions: Boyd

rc911

Explorer
Apr 23, 2015
Cream Ridge, NJ
No, I've never been inside the building but know some people who are doing work at the site. The photo of the mural was taken yesterday, 1-23-2018. I too hope it is preserved.

Nark

Aug 27, 2012
Weird. This plant closed years ago. What's it still doing in there?

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
In my younger days I worked for a mechanical contractor in Burlington. We did a job in that building replacing titanium and stainless steel piping that the cranberry juice ate holes through!! Mostly on 90 and 45 degree turns and "T" junctions where the "sludge" would sit

I'm no expert but if the pipe wore at those locations it sounds like it may have been from something abrasive in the juice and not acidity.
On another note, I like cranberry juice but I especially like it mixed with other juices (grape, apple, raspberry, etc.) or vodka.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I'm no expert but if the pipe wore at those locations it sounds like it may have been from something abrasive in the juice and not acidity.
On another note, I like cranberry juice but I especially like it mixed with other juices (grape, apple, raspberry, etc.) or vodka.

you would be surprised how corrosive things we eat are in the raw forms

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Our cherry pie filling will eat the aluminum tin it's baked in if the bottom dough doesn't completely cover it...
Drinking water here ate my hot water side copper pipes. After 2nd leak ripped it all put and replaced with pex

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
An old neighbor of mine worked there, his job was to make rubber bladders to store cranberry products because they were so corrosive. I can't recall what the exact product was that was stored in these bladders, whether it was a consumer-level thing or a part of manufacturing.