Bridge at old bog at Clark Branch

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Late afternoon on Sunday, March 26. I got halfway across the bridge, then started thinking about my camera and the 3 lenses in my backpack, and the sway factor of the bridge. I retreated and decided to shoot it instead. A lot of obvious history here. Someday I'll figure it out.
clark_branch.jpg

T

Toothy Critter

IDK I think Ansel Adams woulda crossed it :rolleyes: Jon, don't you use or have chest waders? I fish all winter long standing in the water. You should be able to access a lot of places with chest waders instead of just boots. But make sure you wear the belt in case you fall in

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
TC, Ansel just had to worry about grizzly bears. Seriously, I wear hip waders everywhere. They are clumsy in tight spots, and awkward when hiking more than a mile or two, but give me a lot more access than 18" boots. I've considered chest waders but if I am in a stream over my waist the bottom of my backpack will either be wet, or will get wet with a slight stumble. The bottom of Clark Branch has deep holes, wood, branches, etc. Crossing without a stumble would be very difficult. And I would do it, except for the gear on my back. Check out this video from Bob and Guy, "The Dangers of Deep Exploring in The Pine Barrens". One misstep and I've lost everything.

Took this shot standing in the stream, one foot balanced on a submerged branch. With tripod, camera and lens, I slid on my butt, and carefully slipped into the water. Should have shot horizontal but tried to get a panorama, which did not work out. One step forward and I would be in a hole up to my waist or over. I have a dream of floating out over the water to get the right angle. Maybe a bunch of helium balloons and a battery powered fan for propulsion.
clark_branch2.jpg

Last edited:
T

Toothy Critter

Yes, you are right. But just saying that you could access a lot more spots, not anywhere you wanted. Of course you have to use good judgement. But for example, at that bridge at Clarks in your pic... you could wade that easily with waders while using the bridge as a handrail. I have not so expensive STOCKING FOOT waders by Orvis. With a pair of wading boots on with them I actually feel lighter than without the waders on. I hike miles to fish in remote areas with no discomfort. Just a suggestion

T

Toothy Critter

Also, IDK how you travel with your photo gear, but waterproof compression dry bags should protect your stuff in the case of an inadvertent fall. Easy to put stuff into and take out. Would be wise to use even without waders. And they are pretty inexpensive. Obviously I am being selfish in trying to convince you to delve deeper into the depths of the Pines, only because I enjoy you pics so much, and need more for my screensaver.. Only thinking of myself :rolleyes::) (just make sure they are "breathable" waders with neoprene stocking feet....NOT NEOPRENE WADERS!!! and "Wading Shoes", not hiking boots)

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I am definitely going to research chest wader and wading shoes, and your advice is very welcome. My concern is the material has to withstand pushing through heavy briars and bush. I wear double duck Carhartt jeans, a heavy shirt, and carry leather gloves all the time. If the waders tear, or cannot withstand briars, then that defeats the purpose. My backpack carries 30 lbs of gear with a center attachment for a large tripod, so I am not sure compression bags will cut it. I often crawl under blow downs, and push through stands of trees so tight that occasionally I have to unbuckle my backpack to get through, and fight through thick briar patches. I keep a waterproof backpack in the car, but the tripod attaches on the side, which throws the balance off, and will catch constantly on branches, briars, and trees. It would be a lot easier if I was just exploring with a pocket camera.

Last edited:
T

Toothy Critter

Rips in the waders should not be too much a concern but poking holes from briars is, and you will get leaks. I stand for hours in leaking waders in freezing water. Leaking slow enough that my sweatpants get wet but not uncomfortable. I don't even bother finding and sealing these tiny leaks. That's why I would suggest cheap ones. Although on the other side of the spectrum, there are some pretty rugged waders out there, made of Gore-Tex that are tough, but expensive. Does sound like you go through some gnarly bush so it may not be the ticket for you after all. The wader idea is more for established trails and water crossings, not for what you are doing. And compression bags would be for camera and lens, small expensive stuff. Anyways, good hunting and keep those awesome pics coming :)

Last edited by a moderator: