Venomous Snakes, Bugs, and S&H Green Stamps

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Any day now and she should be ready.

IMG_0354a.jpg

While walking today Jessica noticed this. After coming home she thinks this is a Puss caterpillar which is highly venomous. However, we are really uncertain of that. and we have read that it is only found up to the Carolina's. Anyone?

IMG_0360a.jpg

Then we went to Greenwood to explore. I saw a place on an aerial I wanted to check out and after looking around I decided to head into the cedar swamp. It turns out the area I was looking at must have been dumping ground and sometime in the past the authorities just pushed all the trash into the cedar swamp and now the vegetation covers it. There is substantial trash there including half a car and various old appliances among other thing.

IMG_0368a.jpg

IMG_0369a.jpg

Late 60 early 70 vintage TV.

IMG_0375a.jpg

The real gem would have been this if it was in better shape. It comes complete with the bracket to mount it up. The younger folk may not even know what this is. Jessica somewhat did.

IMG_0371a.jpg

You can see the trash pile we had to remove it from.

IMG_0373a.jpg

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My Caterpillar field guide says Puss caterpillars come as far north as Maryland but that i a Puss caterpillar.There are several caterpillars similar but none that are a match to that pic but the Puss. I"ve been stung by IO caterpillars down in Florida and it was one of the most painful things I"ve ever felt except for a man of war sting.Don't touch it

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I agree with Jessica. Southern Flannel Moth caterpillar. I also agree that it would be pretty bad to touch it!
I will refrain from likening it to a certain POTUS candidate though. :)

I love the S&H sign and would have taken it home with me! It's such a cool find. Also, your snake is beautiful and fat. You're waiting for her to shed, I presume?

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Also, your snake is beautiful and fat. You're waiting for her to shed, I presume?

She is ready to give birth. Usually the first week of September or so. I have photos from 9/2/and 9/3 for other years.

Thanks to all on the information. I was about to touch the thing but decided against it. We don't usually touch anything except turtles and snakes.

As for the sign I am torn about taking it. I don't like taking anything out of the woods. Now that we have pulled it from the ground I am sure someone in the future will find it desirable. I will let them do whatever they want to do.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, we got chigged pretty bad today at that location Had to remove Jessica's socks and spray them before she could put them back on. I am sure they are in my car so I am going to pay at some point.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
`
I agree with Jessica. Southern Flannel Moth caterpillar. I also agree that it would be pretty bad to touch it!
I will refrain from likening it to a certain POTUS candidate though. :)

I love the S&H sign and would have taken it home with me! It's such a cool find. Also, your snake is beautiful and fat. You're waiting for her to shed, I presume?
southern flannel moth and Puss I believe are two different names for the same species.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Yiiiikes !!

With all the snakes, venomous caterpillars, ticks, chiggers, velvet ants, etc lurking in these woods; I think I am just going to stay in the house.
What's next, Spider Monkeys ?
:eek:

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I guess I should have mentioned to go up to the second photo to see the one Jessica and I found.