Traditional?

Heywood

Jan 7, 2018
Delaware
I didn't see a subject I could join so even though this isn't worth a new post, and some members may have different opinions, I'll make bold to comment. The medical establishment is loaded with supernurses and staff who are juvenile to say the least, so I will give them a printed copy of the following:

ABOUT CRANBERRIES & BLUEBERRIES
I’ve been taken to task on occasion, by younger members of the medical establishment who refuse to accept medical incunabula of folklore practice, and remedy. A glaring example of this occurs when reference to my medical record contains an item saying that: ‘he does not take the low dose aspirin, preferring to add chopped cranberries to his morning oatmeal’. In defense of this irrational quirk by an old patient ? I explore the matter in detail.

Before recorded history folks discovered that chewing willow leaves eased aches and pains. Those little white pills of aspirin bear no resemblance to willow leaves, and for all I know, store bought aspirin may consist of synthetic chemicals first put together in Dr Watson’s secret laboratory.

So much for that, but unless this old fellow has been duped again by modern technology, aspirin and cranberries share a great deal of analyzed content and effect. Aspirin is always available at the drugstore, perhaps hidden by grocery store supplies.

Cranberries usually show up in grocery stores before Thanksgiving. They often come from Long Island bogs. Cranberry addicts must purchase in quantity, and freeze them to assure a reliable supply. Supply of the high bush blueberry has been phased out by imported ones, and Maine low bush berries. Neither of which are worth the price to a fellow who recalls selling jars of the real thing, for a nickle a jar to local housewives. The housewives always inspected the jar for green berries. Those blueberries made a pie that shames the factory product. Blueberries seem to have gone the way of the Jersey beefsteak tomato that is now picture perfect, but prematurely ripened, and tasteless.

We must mention that Jersey cranberries and native high bush blueberries continue to be prized by an active group who brook no aspersion on their quality, nor health benefits. Self declared Pineys form my support when I report a personal history of traditional reverence for cranberries from childhood to the present day. A web site exists for the New Jersey Pine Barrens, where members extol past history, and present mismanagement of the area, located in the southern part of the state. Culinary traditions of the Barrens remain strong especially when folk lore remedies are included.

Yes, I will take the 81 mg aspirin if that’s what makes the Doctors happy, but I’ll continue with the cranberries in my oatmeal just to be on the safe side.