Atsion Post Office Cancel on Ebay

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Doane is aweird word and I'm not totally sure of it's origin, but I know it is specific to a post office that no longer exists. BTW, it says in the description that the Tuckerton postmark is clear in person.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Aserdaten and Jokerman,

The Chew family have a road named after them near Atsion, and obviously it is called Chew Road. The family also have their own cemetery that is shown in the below photo's I took. They have all moved from the area and the cemetery sits idle. I am willing to bet that she is buried there and next Saturday I will get a photo of her grave for you if I am correct.

Be warned there are others who like to bid on Atsion letters. You maybe should have waited until the bidding was over if you really wanted it.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/846-1/chew1.jpg

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/850-1/chew2.jpg

Guy

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
Guy,

Muchos gracias for the info on the doane cancel.

Now the story explaining the history of this device indicated it began in the early 1900's. In their listing of post offices in NJ using the doanes, neither Tuckerton nor Atsion are listed.

In the description by the potential seller of the letter on ebay, he stated it had a doane postmark from 1881, or before the supposed starting date of this device.

Did I interpret something wrong about this situation, or what gives?

Also, what makes it likely that Miss Chew never married, or was still a Chew when she died? Unless this is the only cemetery in the vicinity of Atsion that has any Chews in it, I think the chances of finding her grave are quite slim.

-- Dave

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
aserdaten said:
Also, what makes it likely that Miss Chew never married, or was still a Chew when she died? Unless this is the only cemetery in the vicinity of Atsion that has any Chews in it, I think the chances of finding her grave are quite slim.

-- Dave

Could be true. If I am in the area i will check anyway to see if there is someone with that first name.

Guy