FIOS is coming to rural Atlantic County

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Are other services underground? When fios came here everything was/is overhead.
My 2nd contract with Verizon expires in March and the bill goes up $80 a month
Guess I'll be back with Comcast for the 3rd time LoL

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Verizon has been installing FIOS service to customers around here using sub's and in the process has been cutting thru the Comcast cables. :worms: Both were out in the street in the rain this morning 'discussing' it. Heard a lot of 'cussing' but no blood was shed. The camera was ready just in case there was a photo op ;)

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Going back to Comcast today, tech just called to confirm.
Verizon held the price for a few months after contract but then started increases...

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My FIOS went up by $50 on the first anniversary in July when one of the promotions ended. Guess I could call and argue, but I don't have any leverage since there are no other broadband providers here. And really, I've been completely happy with it. No probems at all for the first year and it really delivers the 150/150 mbit/sec they promise.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
I've always been happy with FIOS service it's their marketing I don't agree with.
I called to let them know I was leaving but would stay if I could get their currently advertised triple play.
Told they only offer that to new customers, not existing. They couldn't offer anything to me close to that plan.
Sad part is they will be knocking on my door Monday trying to get me back, happens every time!

Tech just left and this post is via Comcast LoL

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
All I want is fast internet. Not interested in TV or phone service. But it was actually cheaper to get the package with phone service, since there was a big discount due to the fact they are replacing their analog service with fiber. Next summer is a big price increase when another promotion ends, will have to look more closely at the landscape at that time.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
As I sit here with a cut Comcast cable :eek:, I still have internet access via Comcasts wifi network, phone, and TV via their streaming. Nothing much has changed except the network connection. :D The issue with Verizon is not the product but their service. When I was working, the company built a new world HQ in NJ and wanted to tie the 3 local sites together with fiber. Verizon disappointed; poor knowledge and solution. We did the work ourselves. This recent local bruhaha shows me nothing has changed much. They are in full 'add customer mode' without the resources to back it up. Their strong point is their cellular network, Comcast and others, use it for their mobile products.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
I could get by with internet only, but the way pricing is makes triple play logical.
Only have TV service on one, rest are hooked to small rooftop antenna pointed at Philadelphia...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I could get by with internet only, but the way pricing is makes triple play logical.
Only have TV service on one, rest are hooked to small rooftop antenna pointed at Philadelphia...

Same set up for us, 1 TV, but without the antenna. I had looked at an antenna, but do the streaming thing instead since the antenna would just get me Philly networks and some off the wall stations.

Comcast came by on Monday and hooked us up with a temp line until a crew comes out to bury it. Might be a while, as he said they have quite a few crews headed south. Neighbor told me Verizon also cut 4 of his irrigation lines in addition to the cable line.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I'm in Holly Park and nothing going on that I know of unfortunately. How far off the road are they digging? Isn't there a 5 or 6' right of way on each side of the road? Your neighbors irrigation lines had no business being there. The sprinkler co. screwed up. I imagine Verizon will repair though?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm in Holly Park and nothing going on that I know of unfortunately. How far off the road are they digging? Isn't there a 5 or 6' right of way on each side of the road? Your neighbors irrigation lines had no business being there. The sprinkler co. screwed up. I imagine Verizon will repair though?

HUH? The problem is they cut the main cable line in the ROW, his irrigation lines are on his property and were cut when they ran the line to the house. Of course they are responsible for repairs, but Comcast repairs their gear and bills Verizon. They sub out the irrigation repairs. Just an inept Verizon crew doing the customer install as the ROW was properly marked, the ROW is 10'.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
HUH? The problem is they cut the main cable line in the ROW, his irrigation lines are on his property and were cut when they ran the line to the house. Of course they are responsible for repairs, but Comcast repairs their gear and bills Verizon. They sub out the irrigation repairs. Just an inept Verizon crew doing the customer install as the ROW was properly marked, the ROW is 10'.

Huh is right. You weren't clear on what was being done. The talk was about installing the cable in town not to the individual house. I can see a lot of crap being cut in this situation. I guess they could have called Comcast and have your neighbor contact the sprinkler co. to mark out their individual location? The water feed to my knowledge is not referred to as a main "cable" line.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
You'd have to pry FiOS out of my cold, dead hands. I used to have Comcast cable modems, as recently as 2011, and they would always loose sync and need to be rebooted. I can count on one hand the number of outages I've had with FiOS over the years. It still worked after Hurricane Sandy (in Toms River, at least) as long as you had power.

It is annoying that you have to bundle something to get a cheap price on their internet. They know that's where the winds are blowing everybody, but if they show potential ad customers a constantly dwindling number of TV subscribers they wouldn't be able to sell as many ads. One time I called to cancel my TV and they were able to let me go down to a lower price as long as I kept some sort of TV service. (They had some local only package, and I was still able to return my set top box.)

I've never had a problem keeping the price around/under $100. And now I have gigabit internet.

Reactions: Boyd