Spring theme

T

Toothy Critter

Jon, you take such nice pics. Please... if you do get attacked and mauled by a bear, could you get some nice shots of it?:)

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Whatever you do, do NOT wear bear bells, those little ones hikers used to put on their boot laces. They were the method of making noise to alert bears of your presence, and recognized by the experts, until bear bells started showing up in a lot of bear scat. Turns out the bear use them as lunch bells.

coghlans-red-magnetic-bear-bell.jpg

Reactions: Menantico

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
A couple ads opened on top of the story at your link and it appeared the only way to make them go away was to click the "subscribe" button....

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Link below (previously posted) is to a well researched article about whether bear spray will deter a predatory bear, with special emphasis on black bear. The conclusion is there is a very good chance it will not. Wish I didn't read it.

"U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologist Brad Benter, who has experience with spraying several bears that barely responded, describes spray as “better than nothing,” but warns people need to be aware it might not work very well.

https://craigmedred.news/2017/06/29/bear-spray-yes-or-no/

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A follow up to the bear spray stuff; the best article I have seen with links to the studies and a couple of video's. It is focused on griz but includes all 3. There have been a large number of griz attacks this fall, particularly on bow hunters out there in a fairly local area, fortunately we only have one of the 3 bruin's. The take away points; the more the better and the sooner the better. If nothing else, an interesting read.

https://mountainjournal.org/to-live-and-die-in-grizzly-country

Reactions: h2ochild

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Good artcle. I watched this video the other day. A BBC crew was filming in what looks like Alaska and a massive, bad looking brown bear walks directly at them. The coolness of the guide is a thing to behold. He talks quietly to the bear, calling him "Van". One of the Youtube comments: "The Bear thought twice after noticing the size their b@lls hanging out".

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
One of my all time favorites. McNeil River Sanctuary AK. It has the largest known concentration of Brown Bears on the planet. They have a small viewing location, a pass is granted by lottery. Note his rifle, just out of reach. The comments are great.