New law: no smoking in public parks, forests?

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Does anybody understand this S2534 that was signed into law today, taking effect January, extending no-smoking laws to beaches as well as state parks and forests? I'm in favor of it, but it isn't very clear. It sounds like it excludes (allows smoking in) WMAs. It doesn't mention campgrounds in state forests, but there is an exclusion for private vehicles. So I guess campers who park their RV or camper in a state forest campground can smoke inside, not anywhere else.

The silly part of the coverage is the assumption that there will now be no more cigarette butts on the beach. By magic. With no idea how to enforce it.

https://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/07/njs_beaches_are_no_longer_a_smokers_ashtray.html
https://www.app.com/story/news/loca...king-ban-250-fine-lighting-up-sand/685548002/
https://www.app.com/story/news/poli...oking-ban-phil-murphy-jersey-shore/805500002/

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just another to add to the list with more soon to come. For the record, I am not a smoker, never have.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Not a fan of this law. There are alternatives to a total ban, this seems draconian to me. That's not what laws are supposed to be, at least not in this country. I am quite left-leaning, for the record.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
The new law is now in effect. No smoking or vaping anywhere (except inside private vehicles) in State Parks, Forests, Historic Sites, and Recreation Areas, including camping areas. The law does not cover WMAs. https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/PL18/64_.HTM

Driving in to Bass River SF on Fri (17 degrees and snowing), sign on the left.
no_smoking.jpg

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
What's the "thinking" behind this? No I'm not a smoker, quit about 35 years ago. Maybe in a campground where you may be ratted out but how is this to be enforced? Same goes for drinking alcoholic beverages. Most I see in the woods are beer, liquor and plastic water bottles trash. I guess if a ranger sneaks up on you? Some laws defy reasonable logic.

Reactions: h2ochild

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Sounds like it's because of the "butts"
Guess the ignored littering laws weren't enough so add another one to the books
Similar to making driving on forest roads illegal because the forest rules were being ignored
Makes sense to some, maybe we just need whatever they are drinking

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
What a bunch of shit. This State is doomed.

I used to smoke and switched to loose leaf chewing tobacco over thirty years ago. (Chewing tobacco is so much healthier. :))
I suppose chew will be the next target because the tobacco juice dribbled through my beard might offend someone. After all, the brown spit stains in the sand might eventually contaminate the aquifer or make our cedar water another shade darker.

I think I'll move to Kentucky where tobacco is still good for you.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Whether it gets enforced or not... I think just having the law will stop SOME people from smoking / drinking. There are honest people out there. Others may 'cheat' but be discreet about it - keep that beer can out of sight and take the empties with you when you leave. Then there are the people who don't care... But if you camp, and leave behind a fire ring full of cigarette butts, or beer bottles in the brush. the park service does have the ability to add a note to your 'file' in the reservation system. They do know you name, address, email, phone, and car license plate when you registered. They can prevent you from camping again (although I doubt they've ever done that), and the park police can charge people too.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Now people will smoke in their cars and then throw the butts out the window. I think the problem is that people are actually paid to set around and make up new laws so if they don't come up with crap like this their viewed as not doing their job.This is enough to make me start smoking just to spite em.
Now the next time a state forest catches fire I"m going to sue because I have to breathe it and the state didn't control their tree smoke and it injured my lungs.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Cigars and pipes are included. Here is the law:
https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/PL18/64_.PDF

If you really want to see some crazy stuff go to the NJ Legislature website and search smoking and tobacco as the bill subject subject. There is one that intends to ban only menthol cigarettes because they have such a cooling effect that they encourage you to smoke more without tasting the really bad things in tobacco smoke. Really ??? :confused:

I DON"T like the bill that wants to ban tobacco coupons. I get monthly discount coupons from Red Man and if you ever get a stale pouch, they will send you coupons for 2-3 free pouches. I once emailed Pinkerton (makers of Red Man) and asked a question about the difficulty in finding Red Man Select. I received a nice letter, a map of not so nearby locations :( and 3 coupons for $5 off of three pouches.
God Bless America and Big Tobacco !!