On this day, 13 years ago

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I loved my old 92 SR5 Tacoma. It was geared very low. If I still had it, I'd seriously think of restoring it.

13 years ago.JPG

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Bob, I always had a soft spot for that truck. It was a great rig. The only downfall was that it had the V6 as opposed to the 4Cyl. You probably would not of had the issues you had at the end of your ownership of that truck if it had the 22RE motor.

I miss my 87 SR5 4x4 and my 95 DXL 4x4. They both had the 22RE motors with manual transmissions. Hands down two of the best trucks I have ever owned. Those generations are difficult to come by nowadays in decent shape, when you do find one they cost a good amount of money.

Reactions: bobpbx

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I'm certainly no import truck guy, proven by a long-documented life history but I did like my son Mike's old Toyota. It had a manual tranny and the 22 RE. It was an indestructible beater truck that I used to use down here in P'town to hunt and trap some deep woods spots that would have pinestriped my other trucks.
I am currently running a short line for coyote and I miss being able to get back in where I'd like to be for line checks before it gets dark.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Chris, one thing about the V-6, is that it could grunt its way through some really bad stuff. There is a road here below (I think I marked the right one) that is killer on vehicles when it's wet. I made it through easily, but would be hesitant in the 4 cylinder I have now (which is geared too high).

Attachments

• gruntroad.JPG
    gruntroad.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 169

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I'm certainly no import truck guy, proven by a long-documented life history but I did like my son Mike's old Toyota. It had a manual tranny and the 22 RE. It was an indestructible beater truck that I used to use down here in P'town to hunt and trap some deep woods spots that would have pinestriped my other trucks.
I am currently running a short line for coyote and I miss being able to get back in where I'd like to be for line checks before it gets dark.

Mike's Toyota was a true pine grinder. It had the scars to prove what it was used for.

Chris, one thing about the V-6, is that it could grunt its way through some really bad stuff. There is a road here below (I think I marked the right one) that is killer on vehicles when it's wet. I made it through easily, but would be hesitant in the 4 cylinder I have now (which is geared too high).

That is true. The V6 did have that low end torque, but not the longevity of the 22RE. The 4cyl was a screamer. You had to turn some RPMs to get them through the gnarly spots. My 95 was bone stock. My 87 had 5:29 gears and the 22RE I built for it had a boat load of goodies from LC Engineering, Thorley long tube header, MSD ignition, Weber carb and a tune done by Kenny Dean. It dynoed at just under 200hp. One of the few trucks I never had to get a yank out of a bad spot in the pines. My Colorado was the worst, it has not left the driveway since the night you and Erik came to my rescue. That indecent ended the trucks life.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, That is true. The V6 did have that low end torque, but not the longevity of the 22RE. The 4cyl was a screamer. You had to turn some RPMs to get them through the gnarly spots. My 95 was bone stock. My 87 had 5:29 gears and the 22RE I built for it had a boat load of goodies from LC Engineering, Thorley long tube header, MSD ignition, Weber carb and a tune done by Kenny Dean. It dynoed at just under 200hp. One of the few trucks I never had to get a yank out of a bad spot in the pines. My Colorado was the worst, it has not left the driveway since the night you and Erik came to my rescue. That indecent ended the trucks life.

Your mention of that 87 brings to mind my old '75 Jeep CJ-5. Only time I ever bought a vehicle off the showroom floor (or any new car since then). It had an 8 cyl 304 engine with a 3 speed manual. I had an Edelbrock intake added and put a Holly 4 barrel on top and topped it off with headers. Second gear had insane acceleration.

I've never had a truck, for years drove old Volvos (1980s models) with unkillable 4 cyl engines, manual trans. (had a Mazdo rotary engine once, long story) When Volvo parts got rare and expensive and rhe Vineland U-Pull it closed, (You meet a better class of people in a junkyard) I switched to older Toyota 4-cyl Camry wagons. Also unkillable.
What 10 yr old toyota powerplant in a vehicle I can roadtrip and camp in would you recommend besides the Highlander or 4-Runner? Prefer 6-cyl. The engine in my 2004 Toyota avalon is ideal. Had my mechanic replace timing belt last year. Great roadcar but not enough space inside.
Not planning to seriously offroad; per input from Zach looking for Highlander with fwd.
And is manual trans even available anymore? A couple of years back I rented 4 cyl Toyota Corolla with the continuously variable transmission. Seriously underpowered at highway speeds and the tranny sounded/felt like there was a giant hamster wheel under the hood.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't anticipate ever going back to 4 cyl cars. I need that V6. But I had a 91 four cylinder camry with over 200K on it. It served me well. Now, they put turbos on 4 cylinders. I don't like that idea. Seems like a tax on the engine and more things to go wrong.

This sentence is confusing Jersey Girl: "What 10 yr old toyota powerplant in a vehicle I can roadtrip and camp in would you recommend besides the Highlander or 4-Runner?" Are you saying what other toyota vehicle is good? Did you look into the RAV4? They were very highly rated back then.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Manual transmissions are pretty much gone, as the all-important fuel economy numbers have favored automatics for at least a decade now. I have a 2016 Tacoma, four cylinder, and pretty much barebones, with a back seat only big enough for a kid or a cramped, uncomfortable adult. The 2tr-fe engine is as bulletproof as the 22RE ever was, but with better power and fuel economy. It's not that they've forgotten how to build a bulletproof truck, but rather that the buying public demands all the amenities that will eventually break, like independent suspension, electronically shifted 4wd control, etc. If toyota tried to make a tacoma like they did in 1990, nobody would buy it but for a few diehards, and it would be a big commercial flop. New car sales just aren't that profitable, the manufacturer needs to sell in volume-- What sells in volume is the "luxury truck" that you see everywhere, loaded with all the electronics. Just the way it is today!

I don't anticipate ever going back to 4 cyl cars. I need that V6. But I had a 91 four cylinder camry with over 200K on it. It served me well. Now, they put turbos on 4 cylinders. I don't like that idea. Seems like a tax on the engine and more things to go wrong.

This sentence is confusing Jersey Girl: "What 10 yr old toyota powerplant in a vehicle I can roadtrip and camp in would you recommend besides the Highlander or 4-Runner?" Are you saying what other toyota vehicle is good? Did you look into the RAV4? They were very highly rated back then.

Yup, asking for feedback re other toyota choices, preferably 6-10 years old to limit expense and recent changes which make vehicles more electronically based.. I heart that '75 Jeep you had! I agree with you re turbos; rather than a turbocharged four, I would go up to a six cylinder engine.
Have not yet considered the Rav 4.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
My friend bought a Ford F 150 with a 300 I6.
I asked him why he didn't get the V-8 engine.
He said UPS uses the 300 I6 in their trucks and when was the last time you saw a broken down UPS truck?

Last edited:
Reactions: old jersey girl

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
My friend bought a Ford F 150 with a 300 I6.
I asked him why he didn't get the V-8 engine.
He said UPS uses 300 I6 in their trucks and when was the last time you saw a broken down UPS truck?

I had a 79 F100 with a 300 in it. I feel it was one of the top engines Ford ever made. It had widespread industrial applications as well, which often tells you something. The same engine was in the brush chipper I had while I was doing tree work back then. I stocked up on oil filters when on sale ;). While the chipper ended up being routinely towed by a dump, I did haul it back from PA with the F100 when I purchased it , and it had absolutely no trouble pulling it up any hills I negotiated. And this was a full sized industrial chipper, not the little things you rent at Home Depot. I can't say that the light duty brakes on the F 100 were up to the job going down the hills though. I went down a few that ended at a "T", standing on the pedal, reciting every prayer I could remember.

Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I had a 79 F100 with a 300 in it. I feel it was one of the top engines Ford ever made. It had quite a few industrial applications as well. The same engine was in the brush chipper I had while I was doing tree work back then. I stocked up on oil filters when on sale ;)

They were used often in industrial applications German. I have seen them used in large trash pumps, agricultural irrigation pumps and large generators too. They were simple and durable.
I sold my '87 F350 to a landscaper in 1997 with 170,000 on the odo and he ran it 5 more years. He later sold it to a punk kid who totally trashed it in the woods. I saw it a after the landscaper sold it and there wasn't a straight piece of metal on it. But it ran like a top !

The transmission in my '87 was the best I have ever owned. It had the cast iron Borg Warner T-18 4 speed. It had an unsynchronized granny low creeper that required being at a dead stop to engage. The shift gates were crisp and definitive.
My current '97 has the 5 speed Ford manual with a creeper and my '02 has the German ZF 6 speed with a creeper.

The legendary T-18:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/t18-t19

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
My last work truck was a 2008 F 350 4x4 V10 with a manual transmission.
I think it was the last year you could order a stick shift.
I loved that truck.

Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I got a little teary-eyed Saturday night in New Gretna. I was eating dinner at Allen's Clam Bar and across the street there is an old service garage with a few classic vehicles out front.
Lo and behold, the best pickup ever made in the history of this universe was staring at me while I was eating my dinner. A 1979 F-250.
Solid axles, real metal dashboards and real metal door interiors.
:dance:
79 f.jpg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Buy it; you only go around once ;)

What else did they have there? Looks like a Falcon tail light.

You are good sir !
It was an early 60's Falcon Ranchero. Looked mint from my seat inside Allen's.
There was another car to the left and I cannot remember what it was other than a 70's something. I was too fixated on theF-250. :)

The place is or was called Unique Motors. I find Google hits for the location in New Gretna and other places in Ocean County but some indicate closed for the New Gretna location.

The car looked like this one:
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...hUKEwjr8-7N9OjgAhWRnFkKHRf_BKcQ_h0wGnoECAUQBg

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
It is only missing the running lights.

I had a 79 F 150 4x4 Ranger XLT with a factory camper cap.
I REALLY loved that truck!

Reactions: RednekF350