Historic Highways of America

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
https://www.tschanzrarebooks.com/pages/books/2138/archie-butler-hulbert/historic-highways-of-america
At his url there is a list of books that detail the historic highways of America.They go for over a thousand bucks hard copy.You can download them free as ebooks from Archive.org.I have also downloaded several sets of civil war books for free as ebooks that would cost big bucks hard copy. If you love old roads like I do the books should be a good read.I"ve already seen old stones mentioned on them. Go to archive.org and punch in Historic highways America and you'll see em also don't stop there,all the books are old but some are quite good.I"ve been reading history books off of here for the past two years.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have an ancestor that went over the Wilderness Road with Boone from the Yadkin Valley.His name was Jonas Sparks and He helped build Boonesborough.His name is on the monument in front of the Fort.He was with Boone when his son was killed along Clinch River.
There are quite a few old roads here in Cumberland County shown on the Hartman Maps that sections exist.Many have trees in them as big as the rest of the woods and they have the U shaped profile that shows they were Horse and wagon roads.No wheel ruts. I"ve also walked sections of the Natchez Trace in MS that were worn into the ground deeper then I am tall.I do love old roads.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have an ancestor that went over the Wilderness Road with Boone from the Yadkin Valley.His name was Jonas Sparks and He helped build Boonesborough.His name is on the monument in front of the Fort.He was with Boone when his son was killed along Clinch River.
There are quite a few old roads here in Cumberland County shown on the Hartman Maps that sections exist.Many have trees in them as big as the rest of the woods and they have the U shaped profile that shows they were Horse and wagon roads.No wheel ruts. I"ve also walked sections of the Natchez Trace in MS that were worn into the ground deeper then I am tall.I do love old roads.

There's a road that heads from Dover Forge over to Giberson's Mill's in Whiting. It is deeply set in places, and I found a mule shoe next to it after a fire.

Reactions: manumuskin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have an ancestor that went over the Wilderness Road with Boone

Al, my son, following GPS, got directed off the Daniel Boone Trail onto a road, Wilderness Rd, in KY when he was a cross country driver. This road was so narrow in places the trailer tires almost hung off the edge. He called me that night looking for a way out as there was no where to turn a 70' rig around. He stopped at some home and the owner helped him out, said it happened a lot. :rolleyes:

You can walk the road the Continental Army took on Christmas 1776. Not much to see on it, but a good feeling will probably come over you.

118582008.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al, my son, following GPS, got directed off the Daniel Boone Trail onto a road, Wilderness Rd, in KY when he was a cross country driver. This road was so narrow in places the trailer tires almost hung off the edge. He called me that night looking for a way out as there was no where to turn a 70' rig around. He stopped at some home and the owner helped him out, said it happened a lot. :rolleyes:

You can walk the road the Continental Army took on Christmas 1776. Not much to see on it, but a good feeling will probably come over you.

118582008.jpg
My kind of road!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have a book packed away and I can't remember the title but it is about a guy who is a reenactor and he sneaks out onto battlefieds on the anniversary nights of the battles and sleeps on the battlefields in uniform and has put his self through the suffering they had as best he could by sleeping in the snow without a blanket.He looks emaciated like many confederates did and he is a confederate reenactor. He has done this at Gettysburg a few times.Wish i could remember the title.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
A link here to download the entire Eleventh Edition of the Encyclopedia Brittanica.One of the highest acclaimed editions.Always wanted this set when I was a kid but we never had the money for it.Now it's free as an ebook.If you go to this page then click on PDF or whichever format you choose bottom right and then you will get a drop down menu allwoing you to download each volume.Took me about an hour or a little more.https://archive.org/details/EB1911WMF

icesailr

Sep 27, 2020
Manasquan, NJ
Have you ever walked the Causeway from Buttonwood Hill to Batsto through Mordecai Swamp? Regular highway with seven foot circumference cedar growing in it.
Are you comfortable confirming how to access and walk this trail? I searched Buttonwood Hill and Mordecai swamp and saw the swamp and buttonwood camp to the east of Batsto, but using all the map versions on this site, I did not see a trail ? My wife and I would enjoy this walk I'm sure. Thanks you in advance for you help.

Reactions: manumuskin