Pieces Of Hampton Park History

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Gibby,

I visited the location of the guy wire. While looking around the area I saw a corner of this sticking out of the ground about 50 to 100 feet away. I am pretty confident these items we found were used to support a pole along the road for the phone lines to Hampton Park.

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

I have been right there many times looking for a property stone. Their property line runs right along that road near it.

I left the above item right at the base of the tree with the cable. You can check it out the next time you pass by. I suspect if we spend some time we may find other hooks in trees along the road.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Teegate, that is a cool item to find. I need to go through my pictures from when I hiked several old railroads up in north Jersey ( Sussex, Warren and the Cut-off). There are still intact telephone poles with wires, insulators and such along those lines, and I have many photographs of them. I could more than likely match the items both you and I have found.

I'll stop by there next time I am out. How close was my Oregon compared to your Oregon? Several feet?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Guy, what you found looks like what insulators screw onto. This is a telephone pole at the wreck of the Blue Comet. I have an insulator and it is threaded.
P1040786s.JPG

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
This insulator thing is strange, you don't need hardware like this for telephone lines.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Spot on Gibby!

I actually believe I have seen that before and may even have photo's of it. Jessica and I spent an hour at that spot and the general area around there looking for a stone. However, I can't find them which puts doubts in my mind.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Park Police passed us while we were there. They are doing a much better job patrolling I would say over previous years. I see them all the time now.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
It almost looks like the bracket should attach to the side of building instead of post.
Thanks, Ecampbell for your photograph. It saved me from searching my unlabeled CDs.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
It almost looks like the bracket should attach to the side of building instead of post.
Thanks, Ecampbell for your photograph. It saved me from searching my unlabeled CDs.
oh wow! I had not checked your profile,I guess you are a ways from Belleplain.Your in a very bad area for dark skies,worse then my area.I know a great area in pa but a good three hours from you.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is no doubt that was for the telephone wire. However, that cable must be more modern because that tree does not date back to the 1940's. Repairs must have been done to it in the late 50s or 60s. Just a guess as usual.

Guy

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
I was able to get back to the site of the skit mill today. There were clearly at least two mill races, and there might have possibly been a third. The mills existed at these two locations:

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.67587250408877&lng=-74.5423436164856&z=17&type=nj1930&gpx=

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.67477422832174&lng=-74.54286932945251&z=17&type=nj1930&gpx=

It looks then that there were two mills here utilizing two separate mill races on opposite sides of the river. Notice that the mill owner (Ballangee?) made use of an abandoned river channel in order to power the southernmost of the two mills, rather than excavating an entire raceway.
I am extremely late with my question pertaining to this entire strip of area. I even ran the thought by Jerseyman during one of our discussions.. What do you guys think the odds are one of these mill locations was at some point in time the sawmill that Bodine also operated?

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
And if anyone is ever up for a good paddle and hike of that area I am always willing! I have seen it mentioned in this thread before.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Update to this thread. If you go to my first post you can see the Otto engine that was used for the elevator at the packing house at Hampton Park until the Goodrich family was forced by the state to leave. The engine eventually because the possession of their son Daryl, and in his garage is where it resided until it was sold soon after I visited it. That engine is now running and you can see in this video the first run of it since around 1964.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7c771wqkhtv24gp/AAA41nGIuwjQe7SI00pejcKVa?dl=0&preview=IMG_5943.MOV

At a show in PA.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7c771wqkhtv24gp/AAA41nGIuwjQe7SI00pejcKVa?dl=0&preview=IMG_5966.MOV

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I am fascinated with "hit and miss" engines. I drag my wife kicking and screaming through the working display at the Batsto Country Living festival every year.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
The antique engines are my favorite display at the Gloucester County fair each year. And the least favorite of my wife and kid, I'm sure. I love the manual drip oilers and the huge flywheels. If you're interested they normally have them set up and running throughout the fair weekend. It's in Mullica Hill in late July.