Ticks

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Not sure if this is the case for the folks down in the Pines, but I've hiked several times in the mountains in N. Jersey and in Mercer County and I've only seen a single dog tick, the rest are deer ticks. It's like the cold winter affected the number of dog ticks but not the deer ticks at all (just a thought). How are the deer vs. dog tick ratios down there this year?

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Wall Street "Journal" 29 Apr 2014 "Personal Journal" section, pg D3, has an article about University of North Carolina resrarch of 2011 and 2012 involving outdoor workers wearing permethren treated clothes and those not. Those not wearing were bitten roughly twice as often. Chigger and mosquito bites were significantly reduced in the treated clothing wearers. Comment noted that some of the treated likely wearing non-treated socks as treated ones wore out and thus had more exposure. Article said that permethren treated clothing is used by the U.S. military.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I'm a believer in the permethren. A friend should present himself for a study. Something with his body chemistry attracts ticks. I swear they grow wings and fly over to him. On every outing this year he has gotten ticks even when we weren't really in the woods. On the last 2 outings he had 27 and 48 respectively. He takes no or very minimal precautions. His record last year 83 in one outing. The rest of us maybe 2 to 5 or none. I've been out all winter, when the snow wasn't present and haven't had any, and I haven't treated myself until recently this year when my friend started "collecting" them again.

I do treat my "woods" clothes, socks, boots, backpack, etc. and wear the same every time out. I only launder when they become rank, then I retreat even though it's said your good for a couple washings. Wash and keep all your woods gear seperate. Store in a sealed plastic bag if possible. Do take precautions especially from your knees down including shoes and socks, boots are best [no laces]. Tuck pants in your boots and tape. Treat your boots with the permethren.

So far this year, knock on wood, I haven't had a single tick. I do generally get around 6 through the season.
I make my own spray. If you buy ready made it's around $15 for 20 oz at Dicks Sporting goods, doesn't really go far.. I used to buy Total Kill at Home Depot and dilute to .5% and put in a spray bottle, an empty Febrese bottle is excellent as it shoots a very fine mist. Unfortunately the Total Kill has changed it's formula and no longer uses permethren. I now order a more concentrated solution of permethrin and dilute with water to .5%. Much, much cheaper and the way to go if you spend much time in tick infested areas.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
From an article in Wyoming Wildlife magazine regarding the decline of Moose. They focused on 4 factors, the quote is from 'Parasites'. New Hamshuh is just 225 miles from Jersey, with more cold and snow. :eek:

Regarding parasites, they first talk about ticks. This part ties into climate as well. A female tick will fall off the animal once it has gorged itself. If it falls on snow, the tick will die; if it falls on bare dirt, it will lay thousands of eggs. In Minnesota, one herd fell from 4,000 to 100 moose. Ticks were the main reason for the decline. In New Hampshire, they estimate that in one area of the state, each moose may be carrying up to 150,000 ticks
icon_eek.gif

I'm a believer in the permethren. A friend should present himself for a study. Something with his body chemistry attracts ticks. I swear they grow wings and fly over to him. On every outing this year he has gotten ticks even when we weren't really in the woods. On the last 2 outings he had 27 and 48 respectively. He takes no or very minimal precautions. His record last year 83 in one outing. The rest of us maybe 2 to 5 or none. I've been out all winter, when the snow wasn't present and haven't had any, and I haven't treated myself until recently this year when my friend started "collecting" them again.

I do treat my "woods" clothes, socks, boots, backpack, etc. and wear the same every time out. I only launder when they become rank, then I retreat even though it's said your good for a couple washings. Wash and keep all your woods gear seperate. Store in a sealed plastic bag if possible. Do take precautions especially from your knees down including shoes and socks, boots are best [no laces]. Tuck pants in your boots and tape. Treat your boots with the permethren.

So far this year, knock on wood, I haven't had a single tick. I do generally get around 6 through the season.
I make my own spray. If you buy ready made it's around $15 for 20 oz at Dicks Sporting goods, doesn't really go far.. I used to buy Total Kill at Home Depot and dilute to .5% and put in a spray bottle, an empty Febrese bottle is excellent as it shoots a very fine mist. Unfortunately the Total Kill has changed it's formula and no longer uses permethren. I now order a more concentrated solution of permethrin and dilute with water to .5%. Much, much cheaper and the way to go if you spend much time in tick infested areas.

Sawyers permethrin products available at Walmart in the hunting section. Yes, they're back! I'm getting a few on me every time I've been pruning, digging, or moving brush for the past few weeks.

My protocol: when done working outside, take all clothing off down to skin. Find tick inside pants waistband. Leave shoes outside. Inspect, including pockets, waistband, along seams. Either put in plastic bag or toss into bathtub. Do not mix with items in laundry basket. Comb hair with flea comb. Inspect body (depressing at my age). Shower, put on fresh clothes.

Does this seem a trifle paranoid? Last year there was a tick on the washrag I used in the shower. Switched to white towels/washrags for summer. This morning I found a tick on the tile wall 4 feet above the bathtub. The light-colored clothes were in the tub for a day before getting washed yesterday, and I had looked at them and did not find the 1/8th inch dark deer tick. I have had Lyme disease several times, don't want to risk it again or God forbid the red meat allergy!

We have 2 dogs that go outside only on leash; ticks come in on them. Time to go back to Frontline Plus.
You're only paranoid if they're not after you. Every critter is someone else's lunch, including us!

Reactions: h2ochild

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I was out walking in total brush in Greenwood WMA out in Bamber for 2 hours and didnt get 1 tick. I was quite relived and surprised as I had heard from many other people they were bad this year

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I try not to wear repellent unless its absolutely necessary. I usually just wear bright colored long clothing. The area was burnt last winter so the under brush was not too bad.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I try not to wear repellent unless its absolutely necessary. I usually just wear bright colored long clothing. The area was burnt last winter so the under brush was not too bad.

Why no repellent? Just curious. Are you staying clear of toxic chemicals?

I do worry about the effect constant spraying of Permethrin on my gear and clothes may have on my health, but I guess I am more afraid of disease from ticks.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I do worry about the chemicals and long term effects, I will use it but only if I feel it is necessary, I do not spray it on just because I am outside or in a wooded area. I have 2 friends who have been infected with Lyme disease so I am quite aware of the issues with the disease