Dead or Alive

T

Toothy Critter

Dumb Question? Just curious. Went fishing in a small lake in Wharton. There is a small cove where a large scrub pine fell over into the water. I know it had been down since at least last year cause I fished around it last year also. But as I neared it this year I noticed bright green pine needles and new green pine cones spouting. I wondered, how could this tree still be producing if it fell at least a year ago, maybe more. I could not get to the roots for all the scrub, but can a tree fall over but still have roots enough to keep it alive. Or the fact that some branches are laying in the water? The top one third of the tree seems to be thriving, yet the mid and lower sections are now bare. Also as a sidebar. As I fished I noticed a lot of hawks flying overhead. At one time I counted 7 , all what appeared to be playing in the occasional breeze. They were right overhead and were not shy of getting somewhat close. I almost though "gee, are they waiting for me to croack". Then, as I left the lake and stepped ashore, they all vanished. Anyway...was a blessed day (except for how many times the water wolfs bit me off)

Reactions: Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have pines and oaks that I have cut down flush that continue to send up new branches. Probably if there are still roots getting water they'll sprout. Not many nutrients in sand. Up north I have seen spruce fallen into a river from bank erosion and over the years the tips have turned skyward and keep growing.

As I fished I noticed a lot of hawks flying overhead. At one time I counted 7 , all what appeared to be playing in the occasional breeze. They were right overhead and were not shy of getting somewhat close. I almost though "gee, are they waiting for me to croack".

Perhaps they were buzzards and not hawks ;)

df8994d6492554da2c7fb49cfc17aad8.jpg

T

Toothy Critter

I have pines and oaks that I have cut down flush that continue to send up new branches. Probably if there are still roots getting water they'll sprout. Not many nutrients in sand. Up north I have seen spruce fallen into a river from bank erosion and over the years the tips have turned skyward and keep growing.

Interesting. Never knew that would be possible. But I guess just uprooting or cutting a tree will not actually immediately kill it as much as eventually cause it to die. Makes sense now. And no... they were hawks, I was the only old buzzard around

Reactions: old jersey girl