Weekend detour

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Friday June 14, 2019, 10:55 AM

Barnegat Township Police Department
Advisory: There will be a detour in place for Route 539 , Route 72 and Warren Grove Rd. beginning tonight at 8pm through Monday at 6am.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Again? The same detour was in place last weekend. With the bumper to bumper exodus westbound from LBI and detoured rt 539 traffic wanting to also turn west on rt 72 created a massive backup on what I call Cemetery rd. What was strange, there was a Barnegat policeman sitting in his car at 8:30 AM when there was no traffic to speak of, but at 5:30 PM when a traffic officer was needed, not one to be found.

What is going on, bridge repair along with road repaving?

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I have no reason to bypass the barriers to see what's going on, one lane is open to the sand plant. The Yellow branch crosses under 539 near their driveway. I go from Waretown to Warren Grove on Sundays so have to cross 72. Info seems sparse. Is there work going on only on weekends and not during the week? If only repaving it usually involves one lane at a time with directed traffic on the other lane. I hope Barnegat has a cop at the intersection of 72 & 532 on Sunday afternoon this time for traffic control.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have no reason to bypass the barriers to see what's going on, one lane is open to the sand plant. The Yellow branch crosses under 539 near their driveway. I go from Waretown to Warren Grove on Sundays so have to cross 72. Info seems sparse. Is there work going on only on weekends and not during the week? If only repaving it usually involves one lane at a time with directed traffic on the other lane. I hope Barnegat has a cop at the intersection of 72 & 532 on Sunday afternoon this time for traffic control.

Give Barnegat police a call, their friendly folks; 609-698-5000

You could take Brookville Rd off of 532 to W Bay to 72 to bypass that intersection and go thru the plains to Warren Grove. Longer but no traffic.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
The problem is Sunday afternoon returning. I may not go tomorrow, undecided, but seriously thinking of going East 539 to parkway North and exit Berkely. Then again I've had bad experiences on the parkway northbound Sunday afternoons also. Could take Stafford Forge to rt 9 but as you know 9 is an absolute joy any day! LOL

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Pancoast road from WG used to end in a housing development on 72, but I have not been thru there in a long time.

I avoid the GSP at all costs :eek:

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Pancoast ends in the trailer park. It's not in the best shape and like most little used roads it's starting to grow in and some water holes along with whoops. I'll take a ride down Cemetary rd and if I see traffic backed up again to where the houses are, do a K turn and backtrack to Stafford Forge. Hopefully, there will be a cop directing traffic!

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Well, decided to go to Warren Grove. There was an officer watching from his car at the intersection of 72 in the morning again. I pulled over and told him of the issue last Sunday evening. He said there will be a traffic control officer there until 8 PM. I thanked him and said I'll come back this way then.
Leaving Warren Grove around 5 PM I had to wait for a string of 8 - 10 cars which is unusual. I began thinking there is going to be a long wait at the intersection, then began thinking maybe the string of traffic would prompt action. Getting to 72 I was right. There was probably traffic waiting to enter 72 which prompted the officer to stop traffic on 72 when he saw the line of traffic I was a part of approaching, he waved us through. Much better situation this time, apparently Barnegat police got the message. BTW, the officer I spoke to was polite and understanding.