Forked River Mountains

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
How do you get there? How long of a walk is it from US 9 and Lacey rd?
Thats where the nearest bus stop (#559) is. I've managed to get quite a few places in LI's pines by public transportation, but I don't know if its possible in New Jersey.
Does anyone has any other suggestions for nice pine barrens preserves in New Jersey that are accessible by bus or train?

LongIslandPiney said:
How do you get there? How long of a walk is it from US 9 and Lacey rd?
Thats where the nearest bus stop (#559) is. I've managed to get quite a few places in LI's pines by public transportation, but I don't know if its possible in New Jersey.
Does anyone has any other suggestions for nice pine barrens preserves in New Jersey that are accessible by bus or train?

Good public transportation in South Jersey? Are you serious?

It's 7.5 mile by road and trail or 5.25 miles as the crow flies and I can almost guarantee that you won't see a bus.

Steve

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think you'd better plan on renting a car if you want to explore the Jersey pine barrens. One of the nice things is that there aren't any busses or trains nearby :)

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Boyd said:
I think you'd better plan on renting a car if you want to explore the Jersey pine barrens. One of the nice things is that there aren't any busses or trains nearby :)

I don't drive, however, so that's not good for me.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
BEHR655 said:
Good public transportation in South Jersey? Are you serious?

It's 7.5 mile by road and trail or 5.25 miles as the crow flies and I can almost guarantee that you won't see a bus.

Steve

There is the 559 bus which runs along Rt.9. But are there any decent pine barrens preserves along that road? Or in Toms River?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yeah LI, everyone is right. You really need a car, or better a 4x4, to get around. If there is a bus that takes you down route 9 that can get you in the geveral area. route 9 doesn't get into the woods till around Tuckerton but it does run through forked river and Barnegat.

What might work is if you took the bus down to Forked river area and secured a motel or campground. Then met up with one of us on the forum to get you to the Forked river mountains or anywhere else in the barrens. If you can think of a weekend or sometime when you can come down, let us know in advance, I'm sure a few of us might be able to show you around a bit. If you check the chamber of commerce on line for towns like Barnagat, Forked River, Waretown, Tuckerton, they should have a listing of motels and campgrounds. Try to avoid Toms River or anything north of that...too much traffic.

Jeff

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Don't know anything about bus routes, but is there something which runs East/West on Route 70 perhaps? If so then that would take you right through the Lebanon State Forest (aka Byrne state forest). Another possibility would be something that runs North/South on Route 206 which goes through the Wharton State Forest.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Yeah I'd probably need a car to get to Forked River, Double Trouble is a possibility too. I can do alot of walking though, I've had to walk several miles each way to get to some preserves here on Long Island. You do have to be careful roadside walking though.
I did do a very long walk on a Sunday when the buses dont run in Suffolk. I took the train to Speonk, walked to Riverhead through highways that go through the pine barrens. That was at least a 10 mile walk, since I didn't go in straight direction. I went 1.5mi on Montauk highway, 1 mile on Eastport Manor rd, and 7.5 miles on highway 51. Took me about 4.5 hours. And it was in summer. In winter I can do longer walks.
It is much easier with a car to explore the pine barrens, that's for sure. But I will not let the absence of a car stop me from getting there. The most I ever walked in one day was 15 miles. Thanks for the offers of help though!
My best bet is probably Double Trouble State Park. I can take the 559 bus south to Butler Blvd. and Atlantic City Blvd. in Bayville, and then its a 3.5 mile walk from there. The 559 bus runs along US9 so anything near there is fair game for exploration.

mx174k

Aug 13, 2005
Tabernacle
Does anyone have any information about the foundation on the top of moutain?Was there ever a fire tower up there?I also found two other foundations in the area.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
mx174k said:
Does anyone have any information about the foundation on the top of moutain?Was there ever a fire tower up there?I also found two other foundations in the area.

There was never an official fire tower on the hill since it is not mentioned in the state forest service records. The foundation was as far as I know used during the artillery days of the area.

Guy