The Hundred Dollar Bridge

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I recently acquired a map of the "Outline Plan" of the Jones Mill Tract and noticed that there was a bridge mentioned on it called the "Hundred Dollar Bridge. This map was from 1919 and at that time the Jones Mill property was owned by Beers Reality.

The Jones Mills tract was a massive piece of property extending from Union Clay Works all the way south to Dukes Bridge. This included almost all of the plains, all of Coyle Field, and portions of Bass River State Forest. I am assuming that the reality had some sort of plans to build on this property which fortunately did not occur. Most of what you see in this photo is that property. Massive!

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=14&Z=18&X=171&Y=1376&W=1&qs=|chatsworth|nj|

Anyway, after looking over the map I was able to figure out where the Hundred Dollar Bridge was and we headed off to visit it. Unfortunately, as we approached the location I quickly realized there was a house and private property stopping me just 200 feet from seeing it. The first disappointment of the day! I would show you where it is but since it is private property I can't.

IMG_6772.jpg

While traveling there we saw the annual Fiddlehead picking by the Oriental women along 532 near 72. They had the large oriental hats on like you see when they are working in the fields. A van was apparently being used as a support vehicle.

We then switched gears and headed over to Howardsville to find some property stones and cement monuments. On the road in to the Forked River Mountains we saw a Turkey with about 7 very young offspring. She was concerned but patient as I tried to get a decent photo which did not happen.

Howardsville was a bust unless you count ticks...we had way too many to count. We had to bail early there because of them. Tonight we are still paying the price for that visit. Another disappointment!

On the way back out to 539 we passed the Turkey and her offspring again as she ducked down trying to hide from us. As we were almost to 539 we saw two ATV's coming towards us that had just crossed over 539. As they got closer we noticed they had a shield on the front that said "Police", and they had uniforms and a badge also. So if you are in the woods be careful...the police are patrolling on ATV's.

We then went to check out some "tower" foundations that Behr655 made me aware of recently, and I was trying to figure out what they were for. With a pipe coming out of the ground right next to it I would assume it was a water tower. The pipe might not have anything to do with it though, and it might have been a fire tower. I will have to check but I thing there was a Penn Place fire tower at one time years ago. Thanks Steve for that tip!

IMG_6958.JPG

The 4 foundations are exactly 12 feet apart, all with the same metal piece sticking out of the cement.

IMG_6962.JPG

The pipe

IMG_6960.JPG

And right nearby with no other plant around it, and no other plant like it to be found, Jessica found and identified this Lady Slipper past it's prime.

IMG_6965.JPG

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice report Guy. Pretty day, wasn't it? I saw 2 osprey at Bamber lake and I was wading in the creek also. It is amazing how fertile the woods are with plants and animals these days.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bobpbx said:
Nice report Guy. Pretty day, wasn't it? I saw 2 osprey at Bamber lake and I was wading in the creek also. It is amazing how fertile the woods are with plants and animals these days.

Cool! You weren't wading naked again at the "dwelling place" were you :D ???

Yes it was a nice day.

Guy

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
Sounds like a fun trip, when I was in college in Maine I went to a party thrown by a bunch of hippies who had a bunch of Fiddlehead's that they sauted in butter I think, damn they were really good eating, unless it was becouse I was a poor starving student, but I always wanted to try them again since that time.

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
Hundred Dollar Bridge

Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but just what are fiddleheads? At least the above post identifies them as being something to eat.

Guy's mention of ospreys coincides with a recent story in the local Daytona newspaper reminding locals here of an incident at the minor league ball park several years ago when a new Korean player intentionally threw a baseball which knocked an osprey out of its nest atop a light pole in the outfield, resulting in the bird's death several days later despite efforts to save him.

The bird was sort of a team mascot, and the player's actions resulted in his being fined $500, sentenced to 100 hours community service, and shipped to a lower classification team in the Midwest for his own protection after receiving several threats.

Purpose of the news story last week was to mention that said player has finally reached the major leagues with the Chicago Cubs, which I'm sure doesn't sit too well with local baseball fans who probably wish he had been sent back to South Korea.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
We navigated far far away from the Hundred Dollar Bridge but I think I'll throw a comment in here. I will be attending a Phils/Cubs game later on in the summer and if the Osprey killer is playing I'll heckle him a little, or maybe a lot depending on the number of microbrews I have.

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
aserdaten said:
Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but just what are fiddleheads? At least the above post identifies them as being something to eat.

Fiddleheads are so named because they resemble the head of a violin or fiddle as they reach for the sun until they unravel and become the common fern. With imagination (and some salt) you can convince yourself they're Brussel Sprouts. They're good when you're starving, which is pretty common when you try to survive a week or so living off the land.

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
Fiddleheads Under the Hundred Dollar Bridge

No wonder I never heard of the fiddleheads, either as food or plant. I guess they are unique to the area of the Pine Barrens, or else go by a different name in other places.

Incidentally, I'll be up in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area between the 20th and 27th of June. If anything interesting is going on with the Pine Barrens group, please let me know.