Substantial ruins along Mt. Misery Road

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
From 70, I went north on Mt. Misery Road today (a way I've never gone before). It's completely dirt, but my Yaris handled it fine. About 2 miles in, maybe 500 or so feet away from the road, there is a decent-sized foundation with some pipes sticking out of the ground maybe 100 feet away from it. Next to the pipes is a hunter's tree stand.

I have absolutely no idea what the place was. One or 2 people have said "some kind of mill" but does anyone know for sure? I'm trying to mark the approximate spot on Google Maps but either you can't or I'm not seeing how.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I finally uploaded these last night and will post some here after I do all the editing and whatnot. Sorry for the long reply time. Between midterms and getting laid off this week, I've been a wreck. I almost considered getting an apartment in Winslow and selling my place a few days back.

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Stu, I found those ruins back in 1977. They are on private property but they're not posted. Someone used to live just off the main trail a little south of there. There were some foundations, one quite large, and back in the seventies a few concrete slabs, a large rubbish pile and alot of clam shells. If you follow the skinny trail it will bring you to Mt. Misery brook, and you'll see there was at one time a bridge there.
I'm pretty sure Jeff may know more about this area.
Tom

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Jeff,
Sorry I never replied to this, why don't we arrange a trip out here to compare notes? It's pretty close to me and it's been a while since I was back there.
Tom

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
All this reminds me. PBX did a trip titled "Lebanon Crossing" about 5 years ago. We started on Route 70 about a mile or so West of Mount Misery Road, and we walked in a straight line all the way to Pasadena Road. We found the remains of paper streets where obviously a development was going to be built about a half mile South East of Mount Misery (off Mount Misery Road). That would have been a real bummer. You can see the layout clearly in the 1956 arial.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Jeff,
Sorry I never replied to this, why don't we arrange a trip out here to compare notes? It's pretty close to me and it's been a while since I was back there.
Tom

Sure, let me check my availability and get back to you.

It is a shame there is a geocache there now. Kind of takes away from the romantic aspect of some long forgotten ruin slowly disappearing into antiquity.

Jeff

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I was tempted to email the owner of the cache and ask them to move it, but I doubt it would lead to anything productive.

Also, it appears that someone built some sort of "paintball like" fort there as well. There were chunks of concrete stacked up with branches on them. I didn't see any evidence of paintball though.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I was tempted to email the owner of the cache and ask them to move it, but I doubt it would lead to anything productive.

QUOTE]

Ben,
He owns a 2007 Rubicon! (Say it ain't so!)
I checked out the cacher's profile and his posts on Geocaching.com. He posted a pic of his Rubicon in one of his posts.
He is deputy municipal clerk in x-ville NJ and loves the piss out of geocaching..
He enjoys ATV'ing with his family and thinks geocaching is as intriguing as fire.
I would expect a cache to be placed inside the Atsion mansion as soon as it opens.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Ben,
He owns a 2007 Rubicon! (Say it ain't so!)
I checked out the cacher's profile and his posts on Geocaching.com. He posted a pic of his Rubicon in one of his posts.
He is deputy municipal clerk in x-ville NJ and loves the piss out of geocaching..
He enjoys ATV'ing with his family and thinks geocaching is as intriguing as fire.
I would expect a cache to be placed inside the Atsion mansion as soon as it opens.

Hey here's my geocaching profile while you're at it.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=8c29aa39-201b-4bda-8e6f-b8abf27c29d4

Feel free to mock away.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
OK, I apologize. It has been brought to my attention that I confused this for another similar one. Ben, you're right; this one is under that section of wall. From what I remember it wasn't even well hidden.

I've spoken with the owner a few times. I will see if they will consider moving this one.

Again, I mixed this one up for another. After 500 they tend to blur.

I don't want another Hampton repeat just as much as any of you, so I will see if something can be done. We don't need more rotted jawbones popping up, do we?

I really don't think this one is as devastating as it's being portrayed here, but I do agree it should not be among the ruins.