Get Together: Nov 29, 2008 - Deep Hollow, Mary Ann Forge, and Beck's Canal

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Folks,

It's been quite a long time since I've organized a site-wide get-together. We have a lot of new members, and with optimal exploring weather around us it seems like a perfect opportunity to meet and do some exploring.

We'll meet at the Ranger Station at Brendan Byrne State Forest at 9:30 AM on Saturday, Nov. 29th. Look for the yellow Jeep Wrangler. From there we'll consolidate vehicles and explore the remains of Deep Hollow Campground, the forge and sawmill ruins at Mary Ann Forge, and finally hike the Southern part of the canal (Henry Beck Lost in the Woods: One Railroad) from Mount Misery Brook to the bottom of the former lake at Lower Mill.

The hiking and exploring should be fairly easy. There's only one spot early on by the canal that requires some ducking through a small patch of briers.

Everyone is invited, and if you have a friend who you think might enjoy the trip, bring them along to. I'd appreciate it if those who think they may come please let me know just so I can get an approximate headcount.

You'll be seeing some really interesting ruins and earthworks, so remember to bring your cameras.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I definitely interested since i have been spending a better part of my time on the site and would like to meet some people. also do you have a satellite image of the hiking area? how long of a hike? just out of curiosity

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Hiking the canal should take ~20 min. The rest of the time we'll be poking around Deep Hollow and Mary Ann Forge. I'll try to get some map links up later tonight.

We'll be in the general area of Mt. Misery Rd., on the North side of Rt. 70.

jmaul

Dec 11, 2007
Sounds great Ben, I'll plan to be there.

One ??, are you thinking adults only, or family?

Jeff