is this a good a gps ?

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I have been looking to up grade very soon. Now I have a cobra gps 100, it's like the atari 2600 of the gps world. I was also looking at the 60Cx. Cabelas had them last fall for $450.00 for the bundle.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I have been looking to up grade very soon. Now I have a cobra gps 100, it's like the atari 2600 of the gps world. I was also looking at the 60Cx. Cabelas had them last fall for $450.00 for the bundle.

The gpsstore.com is usually one of the cheapest around and Cabelas on of the highest.
Make sure you get the 60CSX.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Makes sense to buy from a bricks and mortar store many times - especially if they have a good return/exchange policy. If buying online, be sure you really understand those policies. Sometimes you can't return at all, or must pay a big restocking fee. Often you need to pay postage even if the product was defective.

I have seen the 60csx drop as low as $160 at both Amazon.com and Walmart.com (everybody's favorite store! :dance:). But those sales typically only last a day and you need to keep your eyes open. You can often find it for well under $300 at those same places.

I have a 60csx, Oregon and various other GPS'es. I do like the 60csx, but it's showing its age. If you plan to keep it for many years, and think you may want some more capabilities down the road, it *might* not be the best choice. The low resolution screen is a limiting factor, and Garmin has been releasing new types of maps which contain satellite photos or scanned images, and they are only compatible with the Oregon and Colorado.

The 60csx is great, not putting it down. Just pointing out that GPS'es are basically computers, and the technology changes quickly so they may not be compatible with newer maps in the future.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I just saw the Colorado 400c advertised in a West Marine flyer for 399.99. That’s 200 bucks off their regular price. I might find an even lower online price but I'm a fan of brick and mortar shop buying myself. I’ve been kicking the idea of getting a unit primarily for use on my boat for a while now and have been eyeing this model. It comes pre-loaded with a US coastal marine chart. I’ve checked reviews on a bunch of online sites and they seem generally favorable. Anyone have any bad experiences with the 400 series?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
My general sense is that there are a number of issues with the Colorado series which have yet to be resolved, and the firmware updates are getting few and far between. Many people think it is at the end of the product cycle. OTOH, Garmin has been releasing frequent updates to the Oregon which fix bugs as well as add new features. Clearly this is the product they are pinning future hopes on.

Aside from that, I find the Colorado just plain ugly with the phony chrome trim while the 60csx and Oregon look much more functional and professional. But you can certainly find some attractive deals on the Colorado these days. Amazon has it for $356: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Colora...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239916664&sr=1-55

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I might find an even lower online price but I'm a fan of brick and mortar shop buying myself.

The brick and mortars are not so dependable any more.
Boaters World and their parent company, Ritz Camera, are bankrupt now and closing their stores.
With the economy the way it is, the boating industry is in trouble and I wouldn't bank on West Marine being around forever.
I have boats and I found West to be the most expensive of the chain boating stores.
Now they are about the only chain boating store left.
I like mom and pops for big stuff and the net for everything else.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is obvious that not winning has to have some bearing on his driving skills. He has had his share of bad luck but that can't explain it all. However, his merchandise sales alone are higher than any of them, showing that the fans are still behind him.

Guy

T

TabernacleNative

One word and an alphanumeric combination:
Garmin 60CSX
End of story.

I gotta agree, it's priced moderate but you have to buy the topo maps. But I've used my 60CSX all over the Pines, through Alaska, and down into the Grand Canyon. It's never failed me and is always dead-on accurate.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
There is no question that it's a classic which has performed well. But with a gadget like a gps, which is really just a portable computer, technology marches forward. If you're shopping today you really should look at the current model line up and consider what advantages they offer. At minimum you should at least consider the DeLorme PN-40 and Garmin Oregon as they both offer a number of features which weren't available when the 60 series was introduced some 6 years ago.

The forums at GroundSpeak are a good place to read about user experiences: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
depending on what you do with your GPS, makes a HUGE difference in what you should buy. I'd love to see a Oregon be dropped on the ground and in the water like I have done with my CSX. If you are a person that must have the latest and greatest, there are definately other options, but if you are looking for a fair priced, extremely durable, and accurate GPS, hands down Garmin 60CSX

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I would put money on the Oregon vs the 60csx in a face down drop test on a rock myself. I have both. The Oregon feels every bit as solid as the 60csx and I think it has an advantage in fact. The case is more rounded (fits the hand better) and has a rubberized finish. And there are no physical buttons on the Oregon to get damaged or worn out.

But most important, the glass screen on the 60csx is mounted flush to the surface which means it will probably break with a direct hit against a rock or concrete. The Oregon screen is plastic and feels very tough. But it is also recessed, so it's less likely to make contact if it hits face down.

I have not read about any durability problems on the Oregon, have you? It has the same water resistance and shock ratings as the 60csx. I realize that you love your 60csx, especially if it's been your faithful "pal" on lots of hikes. It *is* a great GPS. But many of the negative comments about the Oregon come from people who have not really used one.

Another regular member on the site here just did some comparison shopping of his own and decided to go with a new Oregon. Maybe he will share some impressions when it arrives?

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I would put money on the Oregon vs the 60csx in a face down drop test on a rock myself. I have both. The Oregon feels every bit as solid as the 60csx and I think it has an advantage in fact. The case is more rounded (fits the hand better) and has a rubberized finish. And there are no physical buttons on the Oregon to get damaged or worn out.

But most important, the glass screen on the 60csx is mounted flush to the surface which means it will probably break with a direct hit against a rock or concrete. The Oregon screen is plastic and feels very tough. But it is also recessed, so it's less likely to make contact if it hits face down.

I have not read about any durability problems on the Oregon, have you? It has the same water resistance and shock ratings as the 60csx. I realize that you love your 60csx, especially if it's been your faithful "pal" on lots of hikes. It *is* a great GPS. But many of the negative comments about the Oregon come from people who have not really used one.

Another regular member on the site here just did some comparison shopping of his own and decided to go with a new Oregon. Maybe he will share some impressions when it arrives?

I have to say after handling them both side by side the oregon does seem more rugged and straight forward. I had my mind set on the 60 csx for a while now, but the oregon really impressed me. I will let you know how it performs in the field. I'm heading for Alaska this June, and if it passes up there then I will think it ready to take on the pines.