"Bluebird Trail Takes Wing in Pine Barrens"

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
From "New Jersey Conservation", Winter 2008-09, p.3

Thanks to the efforts of volunteer Nels Anderson, the "bluebird trail" begun in 2007 at the Franklin Parker Preserve in the Pine Barrens really took off this past nesting season. The happy result is a more robust local population of bluebirds, a songbird species making a comeback in New Jersey.

A retired engineer from Indian Mills, Nels built and installed 55 bluebird boxes at the preserve over the past two years. As of the end of this year's nesting season, 106 bluebird chicks had fledged from the boxes, up from last year's tally of 86. In addition, 73 tree swallows and 13 chickadees were fledged.

Nels, who also builds and monitors bluebird boxes in nearby Wharton State Forest, shrugs off praise for his efforts.

"This is not work for me," he explained. "I enjoy it too much, never knowing quite what to expect as I open boxes 1,600 times during the 20 weeks of nesting activity. Each observation is an adventure and a great insight into the wonder and beauty of nature. For me, just seeing or hearing bluebirds is thanks enough."

(Thanks, Nels, you're awesome and making a tangible, wonderfilled difference in our world!!--David)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Ahhh, Bluebirds. There is also a nice, very active trail at the FREC in Jackson.

476044308_a11267952c_o.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
46er,
Ever fish at the FREC? The Toms River sees a good amount of trout there and like you said, its a very pretty area. Have you seen Bluebirds there?

Yep, used to take the kids there when they were youngsters. We now fish the Trout Conservation Zone; especially nice in winter and no canoes.

Lots of bluebirds there in the spring, thats where the picture came from.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Yah, the TCA has more fish and a better holdover rate. Im closer to the Manasquan and spend a lot of days back in Allaire, but Im moving to Bamber next month. I work in Manchester and drive over the Toms everyday. Enjoy your weekend.
Mike

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I haven't seen a bluebird in so long I can't even remember. Then today I pulled into my driveway and there were two blue birds flying and landing around the fence posts to my garden. Beautiful birds. I was very excited.

Jeff

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
46'r
We just started seeing Blue Birds again last spring, after not seeing any for many years. Your pictures are really nice, thanks for posting them.
Greg

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Blue Birds

Nels Anderson is a friend of mine and I have been to Franklin with him to do his rounds. He checks each nest for varmits or unwanted birds, like Cowbirds. It is very interesting what he does. He also has many Bluebird houses in the Tabernacle/ Shamong area. Nels gave me a Bluebird house last year but nothing came to roost in it. I may have to try it on the Ed Campbell property this spring.

Tony R