What was your first (Pine Barrens) car?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What happened to that Jeep Bob? Guy

I sold it in 1979(?) to a guy in Browns Mills. I lived on Hanover Street at that time. I got $1,500 for it. I was ready for a change. The wheel and U-joint bearings constantly needed changing. I remember many times knocking the U-joint bearings out with a craftsmans's socket using a brick or something to support the housing. It was just the right size.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
1st car a 75 chevy malibu, first woods mobile was a 84 AMC eagle sedan. Awesome car

I was raised in Merchantville. On days off from school, some official some not, we would go to Lebanon and play around. Our exploration wasn't formal but little by little we learned to appreciate the Pines. It was the perfect venue to learn how to drive a car without your parents or adult supervision. I sometimes find myself amazed that we didn't get hurt.

My great-uncle owned BLANKENBUSH DRUGS in Merchantville. Had an ice cream parlor there and everything. He was a great guy. Wish I had known him personally instead of through 35mm slides...

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
My great-uncle owned BLANKENBUSH DRUGS in Merchantville. Had an ice cream parlor there and everything. He was a great guy. Wish I had known him personally instead of through 35mm slides...

I knew him, always nice to us kids. I lived on Centre Street about 2 blocks from Blankenbush. My Dad had a real estate office in Merchantville and he would interface with your great-uncle. The business owners of that town would meet regularly to discuss ways on improving the business climate of the town. Small world.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
I spoke with Ed today and he told me your age. You are the same age as a few people I know who grew up in Merchantville. I can't remember the name of the area they lived in but I will ask him tomorrow. He has told me but my memory is poor. I know it was near the Ford dealership.

Guy

Rice and Holman was the Ford dealership in town, later became Holman enterprises and they still are in business in Mt Laurel. Their old location was on Maple Ave, now there are houses and a CVS there.

Tony

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
1st car a 75 chevy malibu, first woods mobile was a 84 AMC eagle sedan. Awesome car

I used to climb hills at Mount Misery pit with my dads 75 Malibu. My buddy had a 73 SS with bucket seats that rotated 90 degrees so you could exit the car easier.

I knew him, always nice to us kids. I lived on Centre Street about 2 blocks from Blankenbush. My Dad had a real estate office in Merchantville and he would interface with your great-uncle. The business owners of that town would meet regularly to discuss ways on improving the business climate of the town. Small world.
And getting smaller. Blankenbush loved to hunt, I have slides of his deer, fish, and ducks lined up outside of the house. Bernard's brother was an Annapolis grad, I have his yearbook and I was at his funeral reppin' the right-coasters who couldn't be here - he's buried in the Point Loma Nat'l Cemetery here in San Diego. His sister is my grandmother! :eng101:

Did your dad's acquaintance at the drugstore raise pigeons? My sources say you're probably talking about Mr. Miller who bought the store when Blankenbush retired.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
They really were nice. I kind of wish I had gone for that over the jeep, but it didn't even occur to me because I had too much testosterone back then. My jeep had a 304 engine and I put on headers, high rise intake, and a 4 barrel holly carb. Second gear felt like 2 G's.

Thanks Bob. Yeah, I looked at the jeep and other 4X4's but the the LC had unbelievable character, like it was meant to be in Africa or Australia. And many guys did V-8 conversions on the LC 'cause the 6 cylinder just didn't have the g-force, a lot of torque but not much speed. I wanted the torque for sand situations. Tom M and I went to Menantico back in the 70's and took the LC out on the land spit that went out in the middle of the sand pond/pit on the left. Man, we were almost buried to the running boards! We had to let out a lot of air from the tires to get out, but I put it in L2 and out we came. Slow, like a herd of turtles! That thing weighed 2 1/2 tons ! The only accident: I hit a Chevy stationwagon broadside when the young chick driving it pulled right in front of me on wet pavement, slammed on the brakes and hydroplaned right into her, BAM, her SW spun at least 3 times, the LC had minor damage on the bumper. You shoulda seen the SW ! Hahaha! No one was hurt, thank God. TTYL. David

wayne larsen

Mar 27, 2010
1st Pine Barrens car

an '82 Volvo turbo and later on a Mazda Myiata, . drove it from Atsion to bass river ( Bullock rd.)
not proper dirt buggies but we made use of what we had.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
1970 Plymouth 340 Cuda 4 speed. I drove it across Wharton and Lebanon / pigmey pines area.
I never got stuck in it. I think the roads were better back then.