? About Kayaking the "very" lower Delaware

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
I figured someone on here would know the answer to this question. Is it possible to kayak the very lower part of the Delaware River, say, near Philly?
I know that's a little out of the Pine Barrens area, but everything I've looked up about it has no info at all about kayaking through that area. I don't want to go down as far as Salem (I know that area's probably ok), maybe just Burlington, NJ to Penns Grove, NJ or somewhere in between. I know about the cautions you have to take with traffic and the possibility of being approached by the coast guard, just wondering if I can even be out there to begin with. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kevin H.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Kevin, I am no boater by any means, so take the following info for what it's worth. I work in Thorofare, and visit National Park on my lunch hour. I've seen, on numerous ocassions, kayakers and canoers on the Delaware. In fact, off the shore by Red Bank battlefield there is Hog Island. It's just a small island between Jersey and the Navy yard. It would make a great little rest stop on your trip. As for the CG, I've seen them to, but I don't think they'd bother you.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I have never done it, but I have spent a fair bit of time on the river and bay from Philly down to Cape May, and I have also seen kayacs, canoes, and even windsurfers out there.

I think the usual warnings for being in a small boat on a large, busy body of water apply. Other than that I can't think of many specific hazards. Not that the usual categories don't offer hazard enough. I guess the number one thing I would be worried about is visibility to larger craft, especially small power vessels. If you stay inshore you should avoid 90% of that problem. Kayacs being brightly colored is an advantage, but I do not esteem the seamanship of the average recreational power boat operator, and would not put my life in their hands under any circumstances.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Kayaking

Hey, thanks a lot Chris and Mark. That's exactly the info I needed. Just as long as I can be out there and not get hassled by the state police, port athority, or coast guard. I appreciate the responses.

Kevin

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
As some have already posted, thats some bigger boat territory. As long as I can remember I have never seen a kayak around that section. Earlier this summer I did a piece of the Upper delaware from Bushkill to the Delaware Water Gap. I know its farther north then you were thinking, but some of that stretch of the river is beautiful with lots of wildlife. Some excellent rock formations too that are great for some jumping into deep pools of water.

bushwacker

Scout
May 18, 2009
port republic
many of the tributaries along the lower Delaware and along the bay shore offer excellent paddling. you could venture out into the Delaware and return on an incoming tide if you time it right

Edward Gertler's " garden state canoe guide " is the reference you will want to look over. It lists all the access points and any hazards you need to be aware of.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Kevin, I forgot to mention this. As stated above, the kayakers/canoers that I did see were in fact close to shore. Much safer. Also, if your thinking about doing it on a weekend, I'd think twice. Down at National Park, theres more boats and jet skis than I care to count. You'd be better off doing that trip on a weekday if possible.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
If you come down to the very southern part i would give a wide berth to the power plant as you do not want to get to close in any water craft

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Kayaking the Low Del

Thanks for the replies and additional advice on places to go everyone. I have several books on a lot of the rivers in NJ and I've read and explored a lot of the upper Delaware, I just didn't have any info in anything I've read about going past the philly area. I know of several power plants in the area, and I realize that camera in hand near any of the major bridges or power plants in the area is reason to be approached by the coast guard or anyone else. I plan on sticking near the shore, as there's not a whole lot to see in the middle anyway. I'm planning on checking out some old RR car float operations as well as coal loading facilities that have long been abandoned. I've done the research on the locations, I've got everything mapped out, I just needed to know if I could get to some of these places by water (and I know better than to step on land for most of these). I'll probably be going some time in Sept or Oct but I like to have things planned out in advance incase plans change. Thanks again everyone. :D

Nov 18, 2008
Erial, NJ
www.facebook.com
Kevin, my brother just did a mini/trial trip on his kayak. He is preparing for a longer trip that would start in Big Timber Creek and end in a channel/unkown creek in Mantua. He launced at River Winds in West Deptford and said it was pretty choppy out there. He also stated the water smelled like oil or fuel. I am guessing from the refineries. His hair and clothes were left with an oily residue.

Just thought I fill you in on his experience out there. Be safe and good luck!

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Yaking

Anger, thanks for the heads up. I figured that the water would probably be pretty nasty and I might wear wet suit gloves because of that. That has to be some pretty rough water in there. As far as the chop, I'll try to head out on a day with little wind to make travel a little easier.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Might check this site out, they have a list of state wide launch sites and descriptions as well as a message board to ask questions. Probably the best resource for NJ open water kayaking.

You might also want to consider some big water safety gear, maybe a handheld VFH radio and one of those bicycle flags to make yourself more visible to boaters.

http://www.jsska.org/