Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
And they can wait all day.

watermark.php

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I've been hit about 3 times this summer, with a few stray bites here and there to boot. Hate those things. Do they serve any purpose in the ecology/food chain? If God created Man, I think the Devil created chiggers.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You do know they are decoys. While you were taking that photo ten thousand more were getting on you while those in the photo's laughed at you.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You do know they are decoys. While you were taking that photo ten thousand more were getting on you while those in the photo's laughed at you.

Guy

Hey, I actually thought about that. It does help though, to know their habits. This was tonite by Dover Forge. This was a grass leaf. There was another one equally loaded.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
I got hit by them last weekend and so did my daughter. She had virtually no reaction but my bites swell up and itch bad. What seems to work to make them feel better is some Benadril capsules and drying them out with Gold Bond powder. Everything else hasn't worked.:cry:

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
What seems to work to make them feel better is some Benadril capsules and drying them out with Gold Bond powder. Everything else hasn't worked.:cry:

This works well, but many folks frown on it. I have a small pool. When the chigs have gotten me, I shock it, way over and above what is required, I go for a swim immediately, no waiting period. Does wonders for poison ivy as well. I like a swim in the ocean for it too. feels good.

g.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Looking at this makes me feel like the first time I saw a drop of water under a microscope: crawly. Also itchy.

Thanks, Bob, I think.
Anything else blooming?

Glo

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Anything else blooming? Glo

You mean flowers? Certainly. This is high time....the dessert of our summer meal. Solidago's, Eupatoriums, Asters, blazing star, evening primrose, pine barren giardia, ladies tresses orchids, jointweed, lobelias, and various and sundry sunflowers.

Bring it on!

:dance:

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
You mean flowers? Certainly. This is high time....the dessert of our summer meal. Solidago's, Eupatoriums, Asters, blazing star, evening primrose, pine barren giardia, ladies tresses orchids, jointweed, lobelias, and various and sundry sunflowers.

Bring it on!

:dance:

Wait, wait, wait! Where's your camera? And will there be any left-overs by the time I get there--late October?

Glo

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run

Guy

Velocichigger?
My boy probably thinks so. He's just getting rid of a batch. His first time.
Next time he might listen to the "old man", and stay out of the high grass. :D
BTW Bob... great pic

John

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Chiggers have always been something of a mystery to me. I've spent my fair share of time in the woods off-trail, including two years doing wetland delineations and endangered species searches, but I can't remember a single incidence of chigger bites. Either they don't like me (I'm not sure if I should be thankful or insulted) or I have minimal reaction to their bites. Although It involves a totally different toxin, I am also all but immune to poison ivy.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I can't remember a single incidence of chigger bites. Either they don't like me (I'm not sure if I should be thankful or insulted) or I have minimal reaction to their bites. Although It involves a totally different toxin, I am also all but immune to poison ivy.

Mental note to self: "Have German lead the next hike.....":rofl:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Whatever the reason, you should be thankful German. I don't get poison ivy either, but chiggers sure itch! I have several bites now, in different places. One of them is right on my rear end and is really annoying!

Pretty sure these are all chigger bites since they're under the clothes where mosquitoes couldn't get me. I have been working on my firewood supply for the past few days, cutting up some trees that have been laying on the ground in the woods for a few months. Seems to me that I've read that chiggers like rotting wood... is that true? It would seem to explain most of the bites, since I was carrying and even sitting on some of the logs out in the woods....

I've had phyicians SWEAR to me that there is no such thing as CHIGGARS! (Let them lead the next hike!) But I know what they feel like! And, by the way, I didn't know what they looked like up 'til now, but they ain't what I'd call "purty"! We need to come up with a couple of good recipes for chiggars (fricasede, parboiled, or just put in a pie), and then, like all good for eatin' critters, they'll fade into the sunset! (Maybe the Feds will come up with limits too! - Bring that up to the next Fish limits discussion!) The above goes double for Greenheads! Maybe we can get that on the menu at Motts Creek Inn!

Gotta go, out of mead (again)

Mac

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Wait, wait, wait! Where's your camera? And will there be any left-overs by the time I get there--late October?

Glo

Glo, you will only see a few scattered goldenrods and bonesets in late October, and those withering. You would be hard-pressed to be too excited over that considering they are up and down the East Coast. I'm sorry.